More about newly diagnosed Pedro

  • velcro333
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi,

      Just wanted to send an update on my 3 year old cat, Pedro. First off, after re-reading my last post, I paid about $4,000, not $40,000 for his emergency visits and cardiologist appt! I guess it could have been worse--haha.

      One thing I didn't mention about his trip to the ER when his HCM was diagnosed was that he was in heart failure with fluid in his lungs.

      We went to see the cardiologist yesterday (took 2 weeks to get in), and they did chest X-rays and checked his blood pressure. His pulmonary edema has resolved thank goodness--he was getting a high volume of fluids due to his urethral blockage and resulting high kidney values, and that was putting him in heart failure. However, his pulmonary vessels are still prominent and not normal for his age.

      They decided to wait to repeat the echo for 3 months, when he will be totally rechecked. They increased his Vetmedin to 1 1.2 tabs twice a day (1.9 mg twice a day), added 1/4 of a 75 mg Plavix pill once a day. She was going to start him on atenolol, but his BP was low at 90-100 systolic due to his taking Prazocin (for urethral spasms). After he is finished with that, I am to take him to my regular vet and get his BP tested--if it is normal, we start atenolol then.

      He is dong well so far, but his heart looks as large in the x-ray as it did previously--severely enlarged atrium. I did see that the echo had shown moderately thickened ventricle walls with areas of fibrosis.

      Anyhow, we are doing what we can with 2 serious conditions. He has been such a good boy at the vet's and at home. Very mellow and compliant at the vet's and very easy to pill at home. The vet said his prognosis is poor, maybe 6 months to 2 years. We'll just do what we can and hope for the best.

      Thanks for taking the time to read this--hope your cats are all doing as well as possible.

      Gayle
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
        Hi Gayle

        It's good he is now out of heart failure. Ignore the prognosis, my Trixi
        ignored hers. She was give 3 months and that was 7 years ago. Vetmedin was a
        great drug for my cats and plavix helps prevent clots. Another thing I
        would consider if adding CoQ10 at 30mg. That has also helped all my cats and is
        at the health store or as Vetriscience Cardiostrength.