RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi

      Mine normally read about 130 at the vets when stressed and those on the
      beta blockers about 110. Tom had a retinal bleed at 170ish and the vet got it
      down to about 110/120 with amlodipine.

    • Elise Eisfelder
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2013
        What do you do when you can't get an accurate BP. Max was trembling the last time. During and after his dental in February it was good and again in May it was 144. He is a very timid scaredy cat. He has a grade 2 murmur but no heart disease. He has chronic pancreatitis as well. Everything else relatively good for a close to 16 tear old.

        Elise

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Shi loh
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
          Hi Feline Heart Group-

          At the vet this past Thursday, my kitty Samson had a average systolic BP of 180. The vet advised to put him on Norvasc 1.25mg once per day. I asked if I could bring him back in with me present and have his BP taken again. Today I took him in, and the sound of the Doppler really scared him, but I just kept talking to him and she took 3 readings 145-155-165, so the average was 155. She says that he does not need Norvasc. His diastolic was 110.

          I wonder how many kitties end up on BP meds unnecessarily because they are very stressed out at the vet when their BP was being taken.

          -Shiloh

        • Mary Sue Rubin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
            Shiloh,

            That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should get
            easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that it's
            okay and you'll be with him.

            How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is that
            only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.

            From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are made
            to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different situations to
            gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present. Then,
            treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the
            target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical
            conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood pressure. My
            vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130. Maybe
            next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see, they can
            jump around during the same exam.

            Mary Sue

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
              Hi Mary Sue-

              On one end of the Doppler was what looked to be a sphygmomanometer, like a human blood pressure cuff would have. So both the systolic and diastolic could be tested. I have also heard people say they only rely on the systolic for kitties. My vet said that is true to some degree, but she also uses the diastolic also.

              Take Care,
              -Shiloh

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
                equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
                inclined.

                Cindi

              • Mary Sue Rubin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                  I'm sure it would eliminate the stress factor. I wish I could afford one.
                  They are upwards of $700.

                  Mary Sue

                  A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
                  equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
                  inclined.

                  Cindi

                  On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Shi loh wrote:

                  > Hi Mary Sue-
                  > On one end of the Doppler was what looked to be a sphygmomanometer,
                  > like a human blood pressure cuff would have. So both the systolic and
                  > diastolic could be tested. I have also heard people say they only
                  > rely on the systolic for kitties. My vet said that is true to some
                  > degree, but she also uses the diastolic also.
                  > Take Care,
                  > -Shiloh
                  >
                  > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > From: msrubin@... <mailto:msrubin%40verizon.net>
                  > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:24:42 -0400
                  > Subject: RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

                  > Shiloh,
                  >

                  > That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should
                  > get
                  >
                  > easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that
                  > it's
                  >
                  > okay and you'll be with him.
                  >

                  > How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is
                  > that
                  >
                  > only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.
                  >

                  > From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are
                  > made
                  >
                  > to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different
                  > situations to
                  >
                  > gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present.
                  > Then,
                  >
                  > treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the
                  >
                  > target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical
                  >
                  > conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood
                  > pressure. My
                  >
                  > vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130.
                  > Maybe
                  >
                  > next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see,
                  > they can
                  >
                  > jump around during the same exam.
                  >

                  > Mary Sue

                • Cindi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                    I've seen used Dopplers as well as other equipment on eBay in the past.

                    http://www.catsmeowvets.com/blood_pressure_monitoring.htm

                    Cindi

                  • Elise Eisfelder
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 25, 2013
                      I wonder the same thing every day but even with me present Max is scared. I would have the same problem at home because he would be afraid of the vet and the machine. So he us in medication. I guess the fact that the BP has never registered low means he needs it but who knows? I'm happy for you!!

                      Elise

                      Sent from my iPhone