What is considered high BP for a kitty?

  • Shi loh
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi Heart Group-

      I just had baseline echos done on 2 of my almost 14 year old kitties.
      Gabriel's showed very mild HCM, and I was just advised to recheck in 6 months. His BP was 160.
      Samson's showed "diastolic mitral annular velocities - the Ea and Aa waves are inverted.
      Dx: Diastolic dysfunction. BP=180.
      It was recommended that Samson start on Norvasc 1.25mg daily. He is a bit overweight at 15lbs.

      I told the vet that I would like his BP checked next Monday with me present. If he is still reading high, then I would like to start Norvasc .625mg and recheck in 1 week, then increase to 1.25mg if he is still hypertensive.

      My question is what is a normal BP for a kitty? How much does the "white coat syndrome" add to a kitties BP? I am thinking Samson's extra pound or so may not be helping his BP. The cardiologist did note his weight was a bit more than it should be.

      Thank you for any advice that you have.
      -Shiloh

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hi Shiloh,

        I have experience with BP meds for two of my cats. One cat suffered retinal
        detachment with a BP of 225. I now know the importance of following BP on
        all cats over the age of 8. She was in her teens at that time three years
        ago and showed no signs of a problem until all of a sudden her eyes went
        cloudy. She gets amlodipine, 1.25 mg/day. She has so far not developed heart
        disease, diabetes, or thyroid problems which often go along with high BP. I
        get her BP checked every three months and she is stabilized around 100-110.
        Her amlodipine dose is twice what most cats require as initially a smaller
        dose did not bring her BP down below 170 which was considered too high. Both
        my regular vet and ophthalmologist are concerned when BP is consistently
        above 150 or 160.

        Another cat, who is now 18 and was diagnosed with RCM 5 months ago, didn't
        have high BP but was prescribed benazapril, 1.25 mg/day. Her BP remains
        around 85, which is on the low side of normal.

        Your idea of being present when your cats get their BP checked is essential.
        Stress can affect the reading, but I don't know the average. Don't let them
        weigh him or check his temperature or anything before hand. I hold onto my
        cats wrapped in a favorite blanket or just in my arms the whole time we are
        waiting in the exam room prior to the procedure. Then I hold onto them and
        talk to them softly during the procedure. This has definitely helped with
        the BP of the blind cat. Her reading can increase up to 20 points when she
        is stressed.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2013
          Hi

          Mine normally read about 130 at the vets when stressed and those on the
          beta blockers about 110. Tom had a retinal bleed at 170ish and the vet got it
          down to about 110/120 with amlodipine.

        • Elise Eisfelder
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2013
            What do you do when you can't get an accurate BP. Max was trembling the last time. During and after his dental in February it was good and again in May it was 144. He is a very timid scaredy cat. He has a grade 2 murmur but no heart disease. He has chronic pancreatitis as well. Everything else relatively good for a close to 16 tear old.

            Elise

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Shi loh
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
              Hi Feline Heart Group-

              At the vet this past Thursday, my kitty Samson had a average systolic BP of 180. The vet advised to put him on Norvasc 1.25mg once per day. I asked if I could bring him back in with me present and have his BP taken again. Today I took him in, and the sound of the Doppler really scared him, but I just kept talking to him and she took 3 readings 145-155-165, so the average was 155. She says that he does not need Norvasc. His diastolic was 110.

              I wonder how many kitties end up on BP meds unnecessarily because they are very stressed out at the vet when their BP was being taken.

              -Shiloh

            • Mary Sue Rubin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                Shiloh,

                That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should get
                easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that it's
                okay and you'll be with him.

                How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is that
                only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.

                From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are made
                to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different situations to
                gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present. Then,
                treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the
                target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical
                conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood pressure. My
                vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130. Maybe
                next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see, they can
                jump around during the same exam.

                Mary Sue

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Hi Mary Sue-

                  On one end of the Doppler was what looked to be a sphygmomanometer, like a human blood pressure cuff would have. So both the systolic and diastolic could be tested. I have also heard people say they only rely on the systolic for kitties. My vet said that is true to some degree, but she also uses the diastolic also.

                  Take Care,
                  -Shiloh

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                    A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
                    equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
                    inclined.

                    Cindi

                  • Mary Sue Rubin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                      I'm sure it would eliminate the stress factor. I wish I could afford one.
                      They are upwards of $700.

                      Mary Sue

                      A friend of mine had several cats with HBP and she purchased the
                      equipment to take it herself at home. Just a thought for those so
                      inclined.

                      Cindi

                      On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Shi loh wrote:

                      > Hi Mary Sue-
                      > On one end of the Doppler was what looked to be a sphygmomanometer,
                      > like a human blood pressure cuff would have. So both the systolic and
                      > diastolic could be tested. I have also heard people say they only
                      > rely on the systolic for kitties. My vet said that is true to some
                      > degree, but she also uses the diastolic also.
                      > Take Care,
                      > -Shiloh
                      >
                      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > From: msrubin@... <mailto:msrubin%40verizon.net>
                      > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:24:42 -0400
                      > Subject: RE: [FH] What is considered high BP for a kitty?

                      > Shiloh,
                      >

                      > That's good news. It obviously helped that you were there. It should
                      > get
                      >
                      > easier each you time go with him since Samson will quickly learn that
                      > it's
                      >
                      > okay and you'll be with him.
                      >

                      > How did they get the diastolic pressure reading? My understanding is
                      > that
                      >
                      > only the systolic pressure is available using a Doppler.
                      >

                      > From what I understand, stress is taken into account and attempts are
                      > made
                      >
                      > to reduce the stress and take multiple readings in different
                      > situations to
                      >
                      > gauge/reduce the effect of stress, as you have done by being present.
                      > Then,
                      >
                      > treatment would be recommended if the reading is consistently over the
                      >
                      > target of 150 (or whatever the target is) if the cat has other medical
                      >
                      > conditions going on that influence or are influenced by blood
                      > pressure. My
                      >
                      > vet usually takes 5 - 6 readings, more if the average is over 130.
                      > Maybe
                      >
                      > next time you could ask your vet to do more than three. As you see,
                      > they can
                      >
                      > jump around during the same exam.
                      >

                      > Mary Sue

                    • Cindi
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 24, 2013
                        I've seen used Dopplers as well as other equipment on eBay in the past.

                        http://www.catsmeowvets.com/blood_pressure_monitoring.htm

                        Cindi

                      • Elise Eisfelder
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 25, 2013
                          I wonder the same thing every day but even with me present Max is scared. I would have the same problem at home because he would be afraid of the vet and the machine. So he us in medication. I guess the fact that the BP has never registered low means he needs it but who knows? I'm happy for you!!

                          Elise

                          Sent from my iPhone