Question about Atonal vs Benazepril

  • Irma Dombrowsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013

      > My baby Flaco was diagnosed with HCM last summer. I signed up for this group and have been following the posts. The cardiologist at that time didn't prescribe any meds and since I was also battling IBD and CRF with him at the same time, I have not yet introduced ourselves to this group.
      >
      > Flaco is 14.5 years old. He showed up in our yard in Puerto Rico when he was just a few weeks old. I had to bottle feed him and ever since, he's my baby and I'm his mom. His kidney failure is still mild (BUN 47, Creatinine 2.8). His suspected IBD is under control and with 1/4 Pepsid AC, his vomiting/stomach acid is reduced to one episode a week. A couple of weeks ago he had another echo of his heart and the HCM has progressed slightly, enough for the cardiologist to start prescribing a beta blocker. He prescribed Atonol, 1/4 pill, twice a day.
      >
      > My sister in Holland tells me the vets there prescribe Benazepril (Fortekor) immediately when a cat is diagnosed with CRF. I asked my vet why she wasn't prescribing Benazepril instead of Atonol but she did not have an answer that satisfied me. (That's just something we don't use for this). Is there anyone in this group who has experience with these drugs? I haven't started the Atonol yet, trying to get this answered first. As far as I understand it, Benazepril can be beneficial to both Flaco's CRF as well as his HCM...

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi

        When my cats had mild HCM we usually started with atenolol first which
        slowed the progression. Fortekor was added later for Maxi. Fortekor is used in
        the UK for kidney failure but usually for later stage kidney failure. Trixi
        was given both to start with and Milly started on fortekor and then added
        atenolol. So I think it depends on what the diagnosis and stage is. I've
        had cats start on both.

      • Sue Davis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
          I'm also new to the group. My 3 year old cat Frodo was diagnosed with HCM a
          couple of weeks ago. He was immediately placed on 1/4 pill of atenolol twice
          per day by the NC State Vet school cardiologist. His heart rate has slowed
          measurably since he has been on the pills. He has no other conditions.

          We go back in 6 months for a check on the progression of his HCM.

        • IrmaD
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
            Thanks for sharing your story, Lyn. Interesting to read that at a certain point both meds were given as I was under the impression that they were both beta-blockers and pretty much did the same thing. The way my sister made it sound, in Holland, Fortekor is given as soon as a cat is diagnosed with CRF. I will clarify with her vet...

            Flaco's HCM is mild and so is his CRF. I'd like to keep it that way! :-)

            Irma