Re: [FH] Persian cat with ascites and heart murmur

  • Debbie Loffredo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
      Ascites might also be coming from the liver. Coughing is not a common
      symptom in cats with heart issues. I would suggest investigating the heart
      murmur further preferably with a board certified cardiologist. If there is
      a heart problem you want to know about it, stabilize it with meds and be
      able to tailor treatment of the liver and other problem that might occur
      with it in mind. Fluids and steroids are common treatment for liver
      disease.
      I believe somebody just posted the other day about the need for research in
      the Persian breed to develop a genetic test like has been for Ragdolls and
      Maine Coons for HCM.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
        Hi Adrienne

        Ascites has a number of causes and heart failure on the right side is one,
        but the ultrasound should have picked that up. Hyperthyroidism can cause
        secondary HCM and heart disease and needs treating. I've never known
        hyperthyroid causing ascites, especially sudden. Can you see a cardiologist to
        view the ultrasound and get a full diagnosis. What treatment is your kitty on?