dosing COQ10

  • maryalphaclaus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
      Hi all,
      Claus is a 17 y.o., 9lb neuter, with a grade 2 heart block dx last Nov. He is not on Rx heart meds due to CRF (stage 1-2) and HyperT, both dx March 2012. Second echo re-ck was last week with a HR of 120, prev. 100 in Nov. His heart looked good for an older cat, and conduction was stable, in spite of persistent arrhythmia. He does pretty well, jumps up and down from furniture and eats/poops well.
      When dx with HyperT I started giving him 30-50 mg COQ10 daily on advice from HyperT group. His cardiologist still feels this is just fine, although she doesn't always Rx it.

      Just wondering if anyone out there whose kitty has a heart block has experienced improved results with COQ10 and what amt. you are dosing, any preferred brands, etc. I've given Jarrows, Vitamin shoppe brand and just started Solgar. These are not in the form of readily available ubiquinal, but has to be converted from ubiquinone in the body. Any better results if using the already converted form, which is 3x the cost? And I've read that it is better absorbed if given in a fatty food. I do mix it into his wet food, but it is not what I'd call a very fatty food, just avg.
      Thanks for any input.
      Mary
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
        H Mary

        CoQ has a very short life in light so needs to really be kept in the
        capsule or buried in the food. I give the usual CoQ, not the ready converted as
        I have several cats on it and I buy it by the 1000 capsules in bulk. I give
        30mg to each cat:)