Hello

  • penney30@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
      My name is Dee. I have 17 cats who were all strays at one time and are
      all now altered indoor cats. My 14 year old DSH male,Reggie,has been
      diagnosed with restrictive cardiomyopathy. He is doing poorly-short of
      breath,not eating-I am afraid his time is very limited. He has been to a
      cardiologist-was kept in the clinic for two days on Dopamine for a low
      blood pressure. He came home yesterday and is on Digoxin,Lasix,a
      potassium supplement and an appetite stimulant. Most of the info that I
      have found on cardiomyopathy has been on the hypertrophic variety. Does
      anyone have any insight or knowledge about the restrictive form? Any
      advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Dee and Reggie.
    • lipant@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2004
        Hello there, I am new. I am in Toronto Ontario. We recently had to
        put our favourite cat, Kobe, a flamepoint Siamese, to sleep. He was
        14. I still have a Bengal named Beni and a DSH named Sassy who is
        about 18 lbs LOL. And my heart belongs to Sugar, my papillion, who
        thinks she is a cat so that's ok, right?

        Linda Panter
      • Tara
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
          I just joined this group. It was recommended to me. I have a 9yr old
          Persian cat(Simba) recently diagnosed with heart failure. It was not
          a surprise to me. He was also diagnosed at 1.5yrs with heart
          disease. I was sent home with a medication called furosemide. Well
          it became a battle to give Simba his meds. He hated it and began
          hiding and he quit eating. I thought maybe it was time. I was upset
          for days and cried. Well the vet discovered he had an infection in
          his mouth. We got that taken care of and Simba started eating again.
          During this time I quit giving him his pill and just gave him the
          med for his infection. Simba was happy and running and playing with
          our new Somali kitten. I decided to start giving him his pill in a
          treat. Everything was going great, he was feeling well and getting
          his pill. Its been about 3 weeks now and he wont take his treat
          w/pill. He is tired(walks very slow like he has no energy to walk),
          looks like he is getting skinnier. Is it from the furosemide or from
          the heart failur? He hasnt had the pill in about 3days now. I wont
          force him to take it and he wont eat the treats with it in anymore.
          He is eating food but he feels like skin and bones. Last time I took
          Simba to the vet she said she had no problem euthanizing him if I
          was ready. I dont think I will ever be ready!

          Tara
        • dodesrottie
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
            All is good with me and mine. I assumed the quietness was a good thing
            because the kitties must all be doing fairly well. By the way the
            slippery elm bark worked great for Dakota, and now he is eating twice
            as much and not having any irregularities with bowels. Yay!

            Welcome new member Joanne!

            Blessings to all,
            Dody, Dakota, and Vanessa
          • helen stone
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
              Thats great news on Dakota, big hugs for both of you.
              I have a q for the group, sorry, Ive been quiet as I ma tearing my hair out and a worry guts most of the time now.
              Anna is still having arrythmias with the atenolol, I took the advice and have slightly dropped her to under 6.25 daily, the arrythmias are less all over the place but, still there, her heart is skipping beats and tripping over itself continually, at least 3 or 4 times a min.
              It doesnt help that I was just told to continue regardless without an assessment, but, there I go moaning again!
              Id love some direction/ advice on the best way to safely reduce her down, I believe when I get her off this Ill just ask to stick with an ACe, I am so disappointed the atenolol has had this effect especially as we started off so very well. Im finding If I give the methimazole twice daily she is very very weak indeed together with atenolol, Id say her spirit is weak this week and, Its been upsetting. Id say she is very flat in herself now and, I do wonder if the Beta blocker is crashing her out, she is so tiny now and cachexic Its walking a very fine line with each drug in her system,
              Thanks for any insight offerred, I will definately be taking her Up to Noola this week for a review about this, I did speak to Malc but, he is in a difficult position and cant exactly contradict her, but I feel I want to get away from Noola fairly soon, well intended I think she is but, her speciality is dogs which, our kitties arent!
              Much love
              Helen

              dodesrottie <dodesrottie@...> wrote:
              All is good with me and mine. I assumed the quietness was a good thing
              because the kitties must all be doing fairly well. By the way the
              slippery elm bark worked great for Dakota, and now he is eating twice
              as much and not having any irregularities with bowels. Yay!

              Welcome new member Joanne!

              Blessings to all,
              Dody, Dakota, and Vanessa

            • Sue at MAGDRL
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2007
                Helen,

                Pepper had the same problem - the atenolol caused an arrhythmia so they
                discontinued it. That solved the problem and the arrhythmia stopped. She
                was also on enalapril at the time and that was sufficient to control her
                heart. She was getting 6.25mg atenolol BID.

                It's one of those weird side-effects of atenolol that comes up only rarely.

                Sue & Angel Pepper
                (p.s. I'm offline most of the time lately. I should have a new computer in
                another 1-2 weeks).

                > Thats great news on Dakota, big hugs for both of you.
                > I have a q for the group, sorry, Ive been quiet as I ma tearing my hair
                out and a worry guts most of the time now.
                > Anna is still having arrythmias with the atenolol, I took the advice and
                have slightly dropped her to under 6.25 daily, the arrythmias are less all
                over the place but, still there, her heart is skipping beats and tripping
                over itself continually, at least 3 or 4 times a min.
                > It doesnt help that I was just told to continue regardless without an
                assessment, but, there I go moaning again!
                > Id love some direction/ advice on the best way to safely reduce her
                down, I believe when I get her off this Ill just ask to stick with an ACe, I
                am so disappointed the atenolol has had this effect especially as we started
                off so very well. Im finding If I give the methimazole twice daily she is
                very very weak indeed together with atenolol, Id say her spirit is weak this
                week and, Its been upsetting. Id say she is very flat in herself now and, I
                do wonder if the Beta blocker is crashing her out, she is so tiny now and
                cachexic Its walking a very fine line with each drug in her system,
                > Thanks for any insight offerred, I will definately be taking her Up to
                Noola this week for a review about this, I did speak to Malc but, he is in
                a difficult position and cant exactly contradict her, but I feel I want to
                get away from Noola fairly soon, well intended I think she is but, her
                speciality is dogs which, our kitties arent!
                > Much love
                > Helen

              • nala nala
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Helen,

                  The vet cardiologist told me not to worry about a
                  premature
                  beat here and there (Cozette also had 6-12 off beats/
                  min, HR
                  140 ish), she said one needs to worry if there are
                  strings of off beats - like 3 skipped beats in a row.
                  She also advised me to be on the
                  alert for syncope and to take Cozette to the ER
                  immediately
                  if that were to happen.

                  As you already know, hyperT can cause heart
                  arrhythmia.
                  Detecting the arrhythmia might just be coincidental
                  with
                  the atenolol dosing rather than caused by the
                  atenolol.

                  However, since people here have seen what appears to
                  be
                  atenolol induced arrhythmia, I don't see the harm in
                  seeing
                  if the rhythm straightens out in the absence of
                  atenolol.

                  When I stopped Cozette's atenolol (about 10 days after
                  the card's
                  last eval), she was on 12.5 mg 2x/day. I cut it to
                  12.5 AM. 6.25 pm for 2 days, then 6.25 AM and PM for 2
                  days, then she was hospitalized - for another problem
                  and got 6.25 AM for 2 more days before dropping it
                  completely.

                  I don't know if this schedule will be suitable for
                  Annapurrna, but it
                  seemed OK for my cat.

                  Also, keep in mind that there are other beta-blockers
                  available.
                  Someone responded to your prior post that atenolol
                  didn't work well for her cat, but Propranolol did
                  (perhaps it was Amanda and
                  Griffin? I don't remember now).

                  For some info on propranolol and thyrotoxicosis (in
                  humans) see:
                  http://www.dundee.ac.uk/medther/tayendoweb/images/propranolol.htm

                  Also:
                  http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic269.htm

                  Beta-adrenergic blocking agents are the mainstays of
                  symptomatic therapy for thyrotoxicosis. Propranolol
                  has been used with the greatest success due to the
                  additional benefit of inhibition of peripheral
                  conversion of T4 to T3.

                  http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=510
                  also mentions propranolol for cats in the context of
                  HyperT,
                  but discusses it given with otassium iodate as an
                  alternate treatment for cats for whom methimazole
                  doesn't work well.

                  Best.

                  Nala

                  PS I hope she is staying out and about and hasn't
                  retreated under
                  the couch again.

                  that gives answers, not web links.
                • Vickie
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2007
                    Same as Sue, my cat Baby was in and out of the vets and er, cardio vet every
                    week. I had to change cardio vets, and that was when it I
                    was told it could be the Atenolol. So we took Baby off it almost two years
                    ago.

                    Vickie
                    In memory of angel Onyx 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
                    Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!