RE: [FH] Sweet Baboo

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

      Kathy,

      I'm so sorry to hear about little Baboo.

      A few thoughts:

      1) It is very dangerous for baboo to go this long without eating
      anything. He could develop a serious liver disease. Call your
      vet ASAP & let him know. If he doesn't suggest anything, find
      another vet ASAP. TO be honest, I would consider rushing him to
      an emergency vet. Not eating can be a serious problem for cats.

      Does anyone else on this list agree that this, in & of itself, is
      quite serious?

      2) While there is a chance that nothing can, in fact, be done for
      Baboo, most often cats with heart disease can be treated to some
      extent (sometimes quite well).

      I suggest you get a referral to a vet cardiologist ASAP. You can
      see if there is a vet cardiologist in your area here:

      http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm

      (This is not the only source for vet cardiologists, but it is my
      favorite.)

      If you can't swing that, get Baboo to another vet, who will be
      more proactive.

      Your boy will be in my prayers. Please keep us informed.

      --
      JR
      Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        Hi Kathy,

        Poor fella (and you). Have you tried unsalted canned tuna juice poured over
        his food? Even try to get him to eat some tuna--he needs to get something
        in his system right now.

        Good luck to you.

        Gayle
        > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. This
        > is his sixth day of not eating. He drinks water only and I am giving
        > him a couple of different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
        > it will do much good. Has anyone ever experienced the same with
        > your cat and if so, is there anything I can do to get Baboo to eat or
        > know why he won't eat his favorite food? Any suggestions? Thanks,
        > Kathy

      • Gayle
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
          Yes, Jonathan,

          Unfortunately you are very correct--when cats don't eat, they have a good
          chance of developing fatty liver disease, which is very bad. I think if
          Baboo were otherwise healthy enough, most vets would recommend insertion of
          a feeding tube at this point.

          My thoughts are very much with Kathy and Baboo.

          Gayle
          > > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with
          > > cardiomyopathy. This is his sixth day of not eating.
          > > He drinks water only and I am giving him a couple of
          > > different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
          > > it will do much good.
          >
          > Kathy,
          >
          > I'm so sorry to hear about little Baboo.
          >
          > A few thoughts:
          >
          > 1) It is very dangerous for baboo to go this long without eating
          > anything. He could develop a serious liver disease. Call your
          > vet ASAP & let him know. If he doesn't suggest anything, find
          > another vet ASAP. TO be honest, I would consider rushing him to
          > an emergency vet. Not eating can be a serious problem for cats.
          >
          > Does anyone else on this list agree that this, in & of itself, is
          > quite serious?
          >
          > 2) While there is a chance that nothing can, in fact, be done for
          > Baboo, most often cats with heart disease can be treated to some
          > extent (sometimes quite well).
          >
          > I suggest you get a referral to a vet cardiologist ASAP. You can
          > see if there is a vet cardiologist in your area here:
          >
          > http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm
          >
          > (This is not the only source for vet cardiologists, but it is my
          > favorite.)
          >
          > If you can't swing that, get Baboo to another vet, who will be
          > more proactive.
          >
          > Your boy will be in my prayers. Please keep us informed.
          >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Kathy
          >
          > --
          > JR
          > Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet

        • Bill & Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
            Is there any information about feeding tubes? Mittens does eat, and
            sometimes quite good, but other times he is so picky, and doesn't eat much.
            Plus, he should have healthy food, and all he will eat in junk.

            Linda

            > Unfortunately you are very correct--when cats don't eat, they have a good
            > chance of developing fatty liver disease, which is very bad. I think if
            > Baboo were otherwise healthy enough, most vets would recommend insertion
            of
            > a feeding tube at this point.
            >
            > My thoughts are very much with Kathy and Baboo.
            >
            > Gayle
          • Gayle
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
              Hi,

              I searched Google for "feline feeding tubes" and found quite a bit of info
              not only on that topic but fatty liver disease. The link below has info, as
              do many other sites found.
              http://www.lbah.com/Feline/ftube.htm

              I was very close to having to have this done for my cat who was going
              through a pancreatitis attack, but fortunately, she started eating.

              Hope this helps!

              Gayle
              > Is there any information about feeding tubes? Mittens does eat, and
              > sometimes quite good, but other times he is so picky, and doesn't eat
              much.
              > Plus, he should have healthy food, and all he will eat in junk.
              >
              > Linda

            • Bill & Linda Fischbach
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                Thanks so much, Gayle.