Hi I have lurked here a while reading and searching the old messages and files. My name is Debbie and my kitty is a Ragdoll named Catman. He turned 13 in March. He has been a very healthy kitty, other than needing dental cleanings until January this year. When I noticed him being really quiet and not eating much. Bloodwork showed liver disease. Well we treated him with sq fluids, prednisone, metronitzole and Actigal. (I am sure many of you can guess where this is going unfortunately). Numbers came down except for Alt which kept climbing. Phone consult with internal medicine Doc, he wanted to keep cat on pred and treat for IBD. I said to my vet why don't we try him off the pred and see what happens. One week later the alt had dropped in half. Of course at this time I start saying I thing his breathing is faster. But under the stress of the vet's office it isnt really noticed and I sort of just think the high liver value is the problem. Well respiratory issue seems to be worse, nasal congestion sneezing, did he pick up a "cold" on all those trips to the vet while on steroids?? (I am thinking) so some antibiotic & antihistamine, well no improvement. So chest x-ray, there is edema cant see much so on lasix he goes. Several days later repeat x-ray, good news his liver looks good, bad news his heart is enlarged. Uh oh lightbulb in my head Ragdolls have HCM in the breed.
This is now late Feb. My vets office's checks into getting an echo done. The local internal medicine guy charges as much as they do on humans. Or I could travel 1-1/2 hours and see board certified cardiologist for half the price. I was able to get my father to drive us and I rode in the back with the cat. She did the echo and yup HCM, fairly severe thickening and enlargement but there was no murmurs or arrhythmias. He was put on 20 mg lasix 2x day. 12.5 mg spiro 2x day, 1/4 75 mg plavix 1x day, 3.75mg Enalapril 1x day. It took about 3 weeks and his respiration rate settled down and he was feeling pretty good probably 85-90% of his old self. Maybe in hindsight, I should have pursued thing to get him to 100 %.
So mid May breathing is still good, but he is not eating good and he is looking a bit yellow to me, to the vet, run blood, liver enzymes are elevated. We put him on Actigal and metronitzole within a week he was eating like there was no tomorrow and grooming himself so much he was yaking hairballs. But than he was acting funny sniffling, sneezing, losing appetite, and sitting in the sphinx pose more. His liver enzymes were coming down. My vet tried to get a hold of his cardiologist, she wouldn't be in till monday (this was friday) so my vet had me bumb up his lasix for the weekend. Well he had a bad weekend very weak, woobly behind, stiff, and not eating. Sure enough had gotten his electrolytes and potassium low. After consulting with the cardio we started him on vetmedin Monday. Also put him on potassium supplement. He has been up and down. Been having to syringe feed him. His potassium was on the low end on normal today. But all is liver enzymes have gone back up. He needs to get eating, I am not sure how much longer
Those that have used vetmedin how soon did you see a difference?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]