Re: [FH] Question about Sphynx and HCM

  • Nada
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
      I am a sphynx breeder/owner and my very first PET sphynx had no signs or familial known issues but was found positive for HOCM on random scan at 3.5 years old. He is now 6.5 and been on atenelol and plavix in which has helped his heart so much that his walls have thinned, no murmur is audibile and he has no symptoms to date. Both of my foundation males scanned clear twice a year until they both reached the age of 4 and were diagnosed with HCM in their retired pet homes-both asymptomatic. I have also gone on to have 5 more unrelated HCM+ males to date. One is deceased due to CHF. So yes all Sphynx owners should scan their cats as it could prevent their untimely death!

      Cheryl Kerr
      www.sphynx.us.com
      www.lykoicats.com
      www.ownedbyasphynx.com
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 6, 2013, at 7:34 PM, "queenditto" <dittykat@...> wrote:

      > I've been an inactive member since late 2011. I joined to help a friend that had a rescue Sphynx that had HCM and not diagnosed until it was advanced. Even with medication he only lived another month.
      >
      > I have 2 Sphynx of my own, one is 3.5 yrs old and the other 5 years old. They have no known health issues, operative word known. Do the Spyhnx owners here scan for HCM in cats with no known disease? The closest place for me to scan at a reasonable price is a 3 hr drive away.
      >
      > I want to do what is best for my boys.
      >
      > Any advice?
      >
      > Cindi

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2013
        Hi Cindi

        There are no genetic screeners for HCM in sphynx but the breed certainly
        has HCM in some lines. Breeders tend to scan at about age 3 when HCM can
        start to show but as someone else said, the disease can show much later once
        they had kittens. I would, without any doubt whatsoever, have your Sphynx
        scanned for HCM now they have reached over 3. I know people are working to try
        and find the genetic tests like they have for Maine Coone, but even with
        those, they only pick up the common type.

        I`m not sure where you are, but if UK, there is a screening programme for
        pedigree cats at reduced cost where they just do the HCM scan (see FAB cats,
        I can find the link if needed) and if clear you get a certificate which
        lasts for a year.