Question about Sphynx and HCM

  • queenditto
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
      I've been an inactive member since late 2011. I joined to help a friend that had a rescue Sphynx that had HCM and not diagnosed until it was advanced. Even with medication he only lived another month.

      I have 2 Sphynx of my own, one is 3.5 yrs old and the other 5 years old. They have no known health issues, operative word known. Do the Spyhnx owners here scan for HCM in cats with no known disease? The closest place for me to scan at a reasonable price is a 3 hr drive away.

      I want to do what is best for my boys.

      Any advice?

      Cindi
    • Blakey Girl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
        Hi Cindi. My Schmutz is a sphynx and was "tested" ( i'm not sure i believe the breeder now ) for HCM as a kitten. He had all sorts of other health issues from the breeder, and besides feline herpes, he emerged after his first birthday totally healthy. Well, at just before his first birthday, he was diagnosed with HCM. And our previous sphynx died suddenly from HCM without any warning. We had no idea. I'm not saying it to scare you, but if it were me, i would scan them. If i had when Schmutz was younger, i may have caught this two years ago. Hopefully they are perfectly healthy though!
        Blake and Schmutz
        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
          I am a sphynx breeder/owner and my very first PET sphynx had no signs or familial known issues but was found positive for HOCM on random scan at 3.5 years old. He is now 6.5 and been on atenelol and plavix in which has helped his heart so much that his walls have thinned, no murmur is audibile and he has no symptoms to date. Both of my foundation males scanned clear twice a year until they both reached the age of 4 and were diagnosed with HCM in their retired pet homes-both asymptomatic. I have also gone on to have 5 more unrelated HCM+ males to date. One is deceased due to CHF. So yes all Sphynx owners should scan their cats as it could prevent their untimely death!

          Cheryl Kerr
          www.sphynx.us.com
          www.lykoicats.com
          www.ownedbyasphynx.com
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 6, 2013, at 7:34 PM, "queenditto" <dittykat@...> wrote:

          > I've been an inactive member since late 2011. I joined to help a friend that had a rescue Sphynx that had HCM and not diagnosed until it was advanced. Even with medication he only lived another month.
          >
          > I have 2 Sphynx of my own, one is 3.5 yrs old and the other 5 years old. They have no known health issues, operative word known. Do the Spyhnx owners here scan for HCM in cats with no known disease? The closest place for me to scan at a reasonable price is a 3 hr drive away.
          >
          > I want to do what is best for my boys.
          >
          > Any advice?
          >
          > Cindi

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2013
            Hi Cindi

            There are no genetic screeners for HCM in sphynx but the breed certainly
            has HCM in some lines. Breeders tend to scan at about age 3 when HCM can
            start to show but as someone else said, the disease can show much later once
            they had kittens. I would, without any doubt whatsoever, have your Sphynx
            scanned for HCM now they have reached over 3. I know people are working to try
            and find the genetic tests like they have for Maine Coone, but even with
            those, they only pick up the common type.

            I`m not sure where you are, but if UK, there is a screening programme for
            pedigree cats at reduced cost where they just do the HCM scan (see FAB cats,
            I can find the link if needed) and if clear you get a certificate which
            lasts for a year.