Re: [FH] Brush recommendations

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
      I use the LePooche brushes...these can be ordered direct from the vender online. I don't think they arte available otherwise. Most groomers use this brand.They come in many sizes and pin designs for dogs and cats. Basically it's a gentle, very flexible pin brush. The 'gold' finishing brush, is a small, very flexible soft pin brush, it's one my cats love. Think no pulling b/c it's flexible. My cats actually come and sit next to me to wait for their grooming, whilst I groom another cat or dog. I recommend these highly. The Furminator is a torture for most animals, best only for GSD.
      However ...first order of business...since your Sophie has mats, I think you need a helping hand/hands for this. How about a mobile groomer? Once the matts are cleared away, you can start fresh with a 'at home grooming schedule' that you can do alone.
      HTH

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
        I find the least stressful option is a good old pair of scissors and take
        the knots off.. ok, they don't look wonderful, but so much easier to brush
        the rest then.

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
          Yes, if the mats are not smack against the skin, that is do-able. But one must be careful, definitely use a snub-nose scissors in that event. No traditional sharp pointed version!

          Marianna

          I find the least stressful option is a good old pair of scissors and take
          the knots off.. ok, they don't look wonderful, but so much easier to brush
          the rest then.

        • bubbacat12003
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
            Or a mat splitter, aka mat comb. Works OK as long as the mats aren't tight against the skin. It looks like a comb, but the upside of the teeth is sharp so will cut thru the mat as you wiggle in up.

            Jo

            __________________

            Yes, if the mats are not smack against the skin, that is do-able. But one must be careful, definitely use a snub-nose scissors in that event. No traditional sharp pointed version!

            Marianna

            I find the least stressful option is a good old pair of scissors and take
            the knots off.. ok, they don't look wonderful, but so much easier to brush
            the rest then.

          • Arctic Light Persians
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
              Use s double sided greyhound comb for mats. Coarse on one side and medium on the other. The 6 inch works the best but they are getting harder to find. For mats on back legs and armpits, I use a fine tooth with a handle. They pull out the mats but if they are next to the skin, it will hurt. Best to shave those out yourself. You can get these combs online from a lot of the mail order pet supplies. I got mine at Pet Edge but they only carry the 7 1/2 inch now and the handled one is medium only. Brushes never get out the tough mats.

              Valerie

              Sent from my iPad