Re: [FH] Sweet Baboo

  • CatWoman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
      fourthdays wrote:

      > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. This
      > is his sixth day of not eating. He drinks water only and I am giving
      > him a couple of different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
      > it will do much good. Has anyone ever experienced the same with
      > your cat and if so, is there anything I can do to get Baboo to eat or
      > know why he won't eat his favorite food? Any suggestions? Thanks,

      Sounds like more than just HCM - but getting him to eat is primary.

      Try using baby food meat (Heinz or Beech Nut if you can find it), and
      using your finger to put food in his mouth.

      If the vet cannot suggest any ways to get him to eat - get a second
      opinion - and more tests to be sure that there are not other problems.

      Diana
    • fourthdays
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. This
        is his sixth day of not eating. He drinks water only and I am giving
        him a couple of different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
        it will do much good. Has anyone ever experienced the same with
        your cat and if so, is there anything I can do to get Baboo to eat or
        know why he won't eat his favorite food? Any suggestions? Thanks,
        Kathy
      • shelley seidman
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
          Hi Kathy..I am so sorry to hear about your Baboo. You
          must get him to eat something/anything!! When Gloria
          was diagnosed with HCM 2+ years ago she was also
          diagnosed with Irritable bowel,anemia and a variey of
          kidney problems. One of the IBD foods, EN - semi-moist
          in a pouch from the Vet, was one of the few things
          she'd eat. Not great for the heart but neither is
          starvation. I was also able to get her to eat a bit of
          baby food. She loves green beans and chicken with rice
          or vegetables. I wish you much luck.
          Shelley and Gloria
          --- fourthdays <fourthdays@...> wrote:
          > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with
          > cardiomyopathy. This
          > is his sixth day of not eating. He drinks water
          > only and I am giving
          > him a couple of different heart meds. The vet
          > doesn't think think
          > it will do much good. Has anyone ever experienced
          > the same with
          > your cat and if so, is there anything I can do to
          > get Baboo to eat or
          > know why he won't eat his favorite food? Any
          > suggestions? Thanks,
          > Kathy

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002

            Kathy,

            I'm so sorry to hear about little Baboo.

            A few thoughts:

            1) It is very dangerous for baboo to go this long without eating
            anything. He could develop a serious liver disease. Call your
            vet ASAP & let him know. If he doesn't suggest anything, find
            another vet ASAP. TO be honest, I would consider rushing him to
            an emergency vet. Not eating can be a serious problem for cats.

            Does anyone else on this list agree that this, in & of itself, is
            quite serious?

            2) While there is a chance that nothing can, in fact, be done for
            Baboo, most often cats with heart disease can be treated to some
            extent (sometimes quite well).

            I suggest you get a referral to a vet cardiologist ASAP. You can
            see if there is a vet cardiologist in your area here:

            http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm

            (This is not the only source for vet cardiologists, but it is my
            favorite.)

            If you can't swing that, get Baboo to another vet, who will be
            more proactive.

            Your boy will be in my prayers. Please keep us informed.

            --
            JR
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
              Hi Kathy,

              Poor fella (and you). Have you tried unsalted canned tuna juice poured over
              his food? Even try to get him to eat some tuna--he needs to get something
              in his system right now.

              Good luck to you.

              Gayle
              > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. This
              > is his sixth day of not eating. He drinks water only and I am giving
              > him a couple of different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
              > it will do much good. Has anyone ever experienced the same with
              > your cat and if so, is there anything I can do to get Baboo to eat or
              > know why he won't eat his favorite food? Any suggestions? Thanks,
              > Kathy

            • Gayle
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                Yes, Jonathan,

                Unfortunately you are very correct--when cats don't eat, they have a good
                chance of developing fatty liver disease, which is very bad. I think if
                Baboo were otherwise healthy enough, most vets would recommend insertion of
                a feeding tube at this point.

                My thoughts are very much with Kathy and Baboo.

                Gayle
                > > Hi, My sweet Baboo was recently diagnosed with
                > > cardiomyopathy. This is his sixth day of not eating.
                > > He drinks water only and I am giving him a couple of
                > > different heart meds. The vet doesn't think think
                > > it will do much good.
                >
                > Kathy,
                >
                > I'm so sorry to hear about little Baboo.
                >
                > A few thoughts:
                >
                > 1) It is very dangerous for baboo to go this long without eating
                > anything. He could develop a serious liver disease. Call your
                > vet ASAP & let him know. If he doesn't suggest anything, find
                > another vet ASAP. TO be honest, I would consider rushing him to
                > an emergency vet. Not eating can be a serious problem for cats.
                >
                > Does anyone else on this list agree that this, in & of itself, is
                > quite serious?
                >
                > 2) While there is a chance that nothing can, in fact, be done for
                > Baboo, most often cats with heart disease can be treated to some
                > extent (sometimes quite well).
                >
                > I suggest you get a referral to a vet cardiologist ASAP. You can
                > see if there is a vet cardiologist in your area here:
                >
                > http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm
                >
                > (This is not the only source for vet cardiologists, but it is my
                > favorite.)
                >
                > If you can't swing that, get Baboo to another vet, who will be
                > more proactive.
                >
                > Your boy will be in my prayers. Please keep us informed.
                >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Kathy
                >
                > --
                > JR
                > Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet

              • Bill & Linda Fischbach
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                  Is there any information about feeding tubes? Mittens does eat, and
                  sometimes quite good, but other times he is so picky, and doesn't eat much.
                  Plus, he should have healthy food, and all he will eat in junk.

                  Linda

                  > Unfortunately you are very correct--when cats don't eat, they have a good
                  > chance of developing fatty liver disease, which is very bad. I think if
                  > Baboo were otherwise healthy enough, most vets would recommend insertion
                  of
                  > a feeding tube at this point.
                  >
                  > My thoughts are very much with Kathy and Baboo.
                  >
                  > Gayle
                • Gayle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Hi,

                    I searched Google for "feline feeding tubes" and found quite a bit of info
                    not only on that topic but fatty liver disease. The link below has info, as
                    do many other sites found.
                    http://www.lbah.com/Feline/ftube.htm

                    I was very close to having to have this done for my cat who was going
                    through a pancreatitis attack, but fortunately, she started eating.

                    Hope this helps!

                    Gayle
                    > Is there any information about feeding tubes? Mittens does eat, and
                    > sometimes quite good, but other times he is so picky, and doesn't eat
                    much.
                    > Plus, he should have healthy food, and all he will eat in junk.
                    >
                    > Linda

                  • Bill & Linda Fischbach
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                      Thanks so much, Gayle.