kitten grade 4 murmur... any advice appreciated x

  • label81
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
      Hi all..
      Im new to all this..so excuse my unawareness. .

      I have 2 lil 9 week old kittens (from same litter)... .they went for their vaccinations on Tuesday n lady said Lupe is fine. . But Fiasco has a heart murmur :(..
      My mind was goin all over the place... I phoned back to find out which grade they said 4... from what I have read online this is serious??...

      I am wondering what to do next and what to expect... or look out for.. vet said a scan could be done for £600 to look into the problem... but wont necessarily mean it can be helped so not much point..

      He has no other symptoms... is very energetic.. and sleeps less than his brother. . His gums are not pale and no shortness of breath. ...

      How certain arw these grades?.. should I seek second opinion?...
      Also iv read about a homeopathic medicine that can help feline heart murmurs... has anyone tried this?..

      I just want to do what I can for my lil fiasco...

      Any help or advice is much appreciated. ..

      Thank you x
    • Leigh Arrathoon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
        Hi,
        I have two Maine Coons, each of whom has a gene for HCM. One of them
        had a grade 3 heart murmur at three months of age, which turned into a
        4-grade heart murmur several years later. All that time, I gave him B
        vitamins, L-Taurine, CoQ10, vitamin E, among other things. I was very upset
        the whole time too, but then, all of a sudden, the murmur disappeared
        because his heart murmur was due to an extra piece of flesh or a ligament
        growing across the lower left ventrical. The blood was flowing into the
        ventrical and bouncing off the ligament. The ligament, or whatever the
        extra piece was, finally deteriorated, and he then had a normal heartbeat.
        He is 9 now, and, of course, still taking all the vitamins I give him and
        still a candidate for the disease, although, at this moment, he is a
        healthy, active cat. The point is, many kittens have heart murmurs -
        usually a 3, I understand - which they grow out of, so the fact that your
        kitten has one doesn't mean he has HCM.
        What you could do, besides giving him vitamins, is take a swab from
        his mouth for Dr. Meurs, if she's still doing the testing for HCM. You
        should also take him for an ultrasound, but $600.00 is very steep. I have a
        wonderful cardiologist, who does my two cats (full-blood brothers) for
        $300.00. This vet, by the way, has 5 or 6 cats at home, who all have HCM,
        and who have been healthy and happy for 10 years because she caught it
        early and medicates them regularly.
        I'm no expert, but I understand that HCM cats can live long, healthy
        lives, with the right treatment and a lot of prayer. My whole Church prayed
        for my cat for a year, because, even though he didn't have HCM, the heart
        murmur made him afraid to jump or run. When he was four, and the growth was
        gone, he started having regular cat fits, running, jumping, climbing, and,
        in general celebrating. He knew something was wrong.
        Leigh

        On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM, label81 <label81@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all..
        > Im new to all this..so excuse my unawareness. .
        >
        > I have 2 lil 9 week old kittens (from same litter)... .they went for their
        > vaccinations on Tuesday n lady said Lupe is fine. . But Fiasco has a heart
        > murmur :(..
        > My mind was goin all over the place... I phoned back to find out which
        > grade they said 4... from what I have read online this is serious??...
        >
        > I am wondering what to do next and what to expect... or look out for.. vet
        > said a scan could be done for �600 to look into the problem... but wont
        > necessarily mean it can be helped so not much point..
        >
        > He has no other symptoms... is very energetic.. and sleeps less than his
        > brother. . His gums are not pale and no shortness of breath. ...
        >
        > How certain arw these grades?.. should I seek second opinion?...
        > Also iv read about a homeopathic medicine that can help feline heart
        > murmurs... has anyone tried this?..
        >
        > I just want to do what I can for my lil fiasco...
        >
        > Any help or advice is much appreciated. ..
        >
        > Thank you x

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
          Hello

          A grade 4 murmur is almost always serious. Kitten benign murmurs are rarely
          beyond level 2. I have two cats diagnosed as kittens and both had serious
          disease and a grade 4 murmur. Both were diagnosed by ultrasound at 12 weeks
          and have a lot of medications and are turning seven years old in the next
          few months. One was given 2 years to live and one was given 2 months. Both
          refused to listen:)

          A grade 4 murmur and heart disease in a kitten can be a number of things
          and all must be diagnosed by an ultrasound scan. £600 is over expensive as at
          the University of Liverpool I get xrays, bloods and scans for a similar
          amount. Ultrasound only would be about £350 maximum.

          Your kitten may have HCM but this is very uncommon in babies unless at risk
          pedigree cats. However my Trixi was diagnosed at 12 weeks old. It could be
          a congenital heart disease, my Milli had a grade 4 from 7 weeks old and
          she has two holes in her heart and the valves formed badly. Both Milli and
          Trixi are turning seven years shortly and have a number of medicines to keep
          them doing well. There are other heart disorders too, but the ultrasound is
          extremely important to diagnose and get the best treatment. I urge you to
          get one as soon as possible.

          HCM is inherited so a sibling would have a 50% chance of the disorder.
          Heart defects can be a developmental fault or inherited. Milli's brother has a
          milder version of her disease and HCM as well.

          With a grade 4 murmur I would never consider homeopathy, although once you
          have a diagnoses there may be things to help. But please get the
          ultrasound, it shouldn't be that expensive, if you can get to a university
          cardiologist that would help to.

          Lyn.

        • Louise West
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2013
            Hi there,
            So sorry to hear your news.
             If you live in England the University of Bristol are doing a research project for cats suffering heart failure due to HCM. for a one off fee of £300 they will examine, scan, treat and monitor your cat. It also covers follow up consults and echoes/drug therapies.
            Our kitten Dolly was treated here and they were superb.
            If this isn't suitable for you perhaps it would be of interest to other members of the group. Here is the link http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/news/current-research-projects
            Kind wishes - Louise