Re: my 3 year old cat Pedro

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2013
      Hi Gayle

      You are dealing with two issues. I would advise you alsto to join the Yahoo
      group for UTI but I am not sure of the link. The question is does he block
      with infection (antibiotics/painkiller) or because he has crystals
      (special diet). Has his urine been tested for crystals?My Toby had that issue and
      after we changed him to the wet special diet, his urine blockages became a
      thing of the past. If they had continued he was in for surgery to shorten
      his penis (last resort)

      The heart disease is serious and it is not surprising you didn't know.
      Often heart failure is sadly the first sign. My cat takes pimobendan too and is
      doing remarkable well. She was diagnosed at 12 weeks and given a few weeks
      to live. She is seven years in a few months. I found it a remakarkable
      drug for Trixi, however she also has fortekor, atenolol and diuretics. I would
      ask for something to reduce clots if I were you, likely lasix. All my HCM
      cats take that, I don't want to take the risk. Trixi has had it for 5 years
      now. If not, consider nattokinase (with vitamin k removed) which is in the
      files here.

      CoQ at 30mg is very helpful, all mine take it. Its from the health shop,
      but be aware you can't stop it suddenly if you start. Most cats here take it.
      Remember steroids are a danger to HCM cats and should only be given if
      there is absolutely no choice.

      Count breaths. Learn to count when Pedro is sleeping and see what is a
      normal rate and a normal look. Then you can quickly tell if anything changes
      and over 40 is an emergency, over 30 time for the cardiologist/vet to take a
      look. Changes like deep intakes, double breaths, open mouth, gasping,
      wheezing are always an emergency too.

      Last of all, he's still a baby. Let him play and have fun. He hasn't the
      first clue he is sick. Don't listen to the prognosis, Trixi has outlived hers
      by over 7 years. Each day is a new day and to be enjoyed.