Compounded medications under attack

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2013
      You have used compounded medications for your pet, and those medications are under attack by the big drug companies.

      If you already messaged your Congressman, thank you!

      The big drug companies are trying to intrude on your relationship with
      your veterinarian and your pets. Last month, a provision they proposed
      was temporarily removed from a Senate bill (S.959) that would have
      greatly limited your vet’s ability to prescribe compounded medication
      for dogs, cats and horses.

      This provision allowed the FDA to severely restrict compounded
      medications for dogs, cats and horses. Treatment options for elephants,
      giraffes, hamsters and other “minor species” were not limited. Yes, you
      are reading this correctly. The proposal actually targets family pets
      and horses. Why? Because that’s where the money is.

      The proposal is the work of the Animal Health Institute (AHI), a group
      created and funded by the big drug companies. They want your money. You
      and your vet want the best possible care for your pets.

      We know that many pet owners rely on compounded medication to treat
      serious and chronic conditions in your pets. They can be literally
      lifesavers. But now, we hear those corporate interests who would put
      profits before pets are hoping to insert this provision back in as early
      as late June when S.959 is debated on the Senate floor. As one AHI
      lobbyist was quoted in the trade press: “We hope our absence from the
      bill is temporary.” What’s more, the same drug company lobbyist
      criticized the “permissiveness” of the original language restricting
      treatment options for your pets. Have they no shame?

      We can’t let that happen. The consequences are too severe. Please take action today to tell Congress to leave medical decisions about dogs, cats and horses to you and your veterinarian.

      Marcy Bliss

      President

      Wedgewood Pharmacy