Re: Staci's mom: how much food is enough?

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2013
      Tami,

      I don't have time to find any links to calories per kilogram of cat per day, but they are out there. But it varies by activity level and age as well. Dry food has a relatively low water amount, wet food is more like 85% water, so it's better to measure in calories than grams. I've also read a mid sized adult cat should eat an entire 5.5 oz can of wet food per day. (don't know how many calories this is)

      May gets renal kibble, homemade food, and turkey bits. It's near impossible to measure the calories in the homemade food, so I measure in ml's just to get volume and make sure she's somewhat consistent.

      I syringe feed her some but all her homemade goes through the syringes, so I know exactly how much I put in the bowl each time. She eats between 140-180 ml's per day. I wish I knew how many calories, but I do know it is enough to maintain her weight, and that's my bottom line.

      The kibble you use should have calories per serving as should any commercial wet food, or you should be able to find out from the company who makes it.

      Good luck!

      -Lee and May

      ==============================

      Friends,

      So, I finally got all crazy and recorded how many grams of food Staci eats
      per day. Her canned renal Purina nf is mixed with a tablespoon of pumpkin,
      and a can of water. How many grams per day is enough for a 5lb cat?

      I recorded the amounts for three days. She used to eat mostly dry, which
      seems easier to keep track of. As she is eating more canned, it's hard to
      tell if she is eating enough. So, the amounts of the canned
      food/water/pumpkin/ miralax/aloh mixture per day was: 211g, 207g, and 144g.
      On the first two days, she ate almost no dry. On the 144g day, she ate
      almost 1/3 cup of dry. So, what do you think? Is that a good amount of
      food? It was a little consuming to weigh the plates before and after each
      feeding. How do you keep track of food intake?

      Thanks,
      Tami