Needle in muscle?

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2013
      Martha has lost so much weight, her saddle area is so bony. It is so hard to find a place to insert a needle for an injection. I have a couple of questions.
      1.  I have given so many fur shots lately, because I just can't find enough skin to tent. Sometimes I have inserted the needle and go to push the plunger and nothing happens. Does this mean I've hit the muscle?
      2. What would happen if I did? -- if instead of subQ, I injected into her muscle?

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2013
        Hi -- I gave insulin to my diabetic kitty for 4 years. The tent method is absolutely the best way to give shots. Unless they're *supposed* to go into the muscle. Here's how I did it. I put food down, and while Pooh was eating, I stood over him, like straddled him, except that I was standing. It didn't matter if he was sitting down or standing while eating. I reached down and grabbed a little batch of the FUR around the back of his neck with my left hand, sometimes the right side, sometimes the middle, sometimes the left. There is plenty of loose skin there, esp if kitty has lost weight. Lift the FUR gently, and you'll see a lovely tent stick up. Then with the right hand, stick the needle in th area right behind where you are holding the fur up. Doing it this way, you will never shoot through, and never miss getting inside the tent. The mistake you are rpobably making is that you're sitting down next to her, right? That is much harder to get a good tent that way. Try my way & see if it is easier for you ---