alkalosis question - fluid in lungs

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2013
      Hi All,

      I'm in the middle of formulating questions for our cardiologist about May's last blood draw, when he found some fluid in her lung tissue from hcm-chf. It appears she has some sort of alkalosis?, most likely respiratory, but I'm not sure and it's complicated. What does low pO2, SO2, Be-ecf, and gap imply? blood alkalosis? or lack of oxygen?

      The blood results are below. So far, everything I've read about alkalosis/acidosis looks at pH, pCO2, HCO3 (bicarbonate). And May's blood was normal in these three.

      But SO2, pCO2, BE-ecf, and Gap were all extremely low, and the tech said this indicates alkalosis or lack of oxygen in her blood.

      I think this is due to her lungs not processing the oxygen enough into her blood. But I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this sort of result. So far, upping the lasix slightly is too soon to tell, I need a couple more days to assess it's effect, and other stuff like how much oxygen she's getting (open window or not), humidity here, etc because she had another breathing struggle, though slight, two nights ago, on a day with only one lasix dose.

      coq10 starts next wednesday so I have a change to assess the increased lasix effect. Later today I'm going to research all I can about these 4 values that read really low, SO2, pO2, BE-ecf, and gap.

      Thank you if you can add anything to this.

      -Lee and May

      Hct 33%
      pcv 34 (25-45)
      Bun 84 (16-30) HIGH
      Crea 2.8 (.6-1.3) HIGH
      pH 7.301 (7.28-7.41)
      Na+ 149.8 range for Na (Na+ not listed) (149.7-156.4)
      K+ 3.62 range for K (K+ not listed) (3.35-4.64)
      Cl- 122.3 range for Cl (Cl- not listed) (114.9-124.6)
      Ca++ 1.19 range for iCa (Ca++ not listed) (1.01-1.26)
      Mg++ .47 range for iMg (Mg++ not listed) (.28-.51)
      Glu 197 (73-115)
      Lac 4.2 range for Lact(.3-1.9) HIGH?
      TCO2 22.4 (no range)
      nCa 1.13 (no range)
      nMg .44 (no range)
      Gap 6.5 (no range) unless anion gap (12-16) LOW
      Ca++/Mg++ 2.5
      Bun/Crea 30.2

      I have no idea what these ones are:
      pCO2 42.3 (22.7-44.7)