lasix and mira lax

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2013
      Hello group,

      Please educate him on lasix and mira lax. Does lasix cause constipation? And, if so, what is the dosage of mira lax and how is it adminstered?

      This is human grade Mira Lax (polyethylene glycol 3350) correct?

      Thank you,
      Jordan and Sheba

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2013
        Lasix doesn't cause constipation, but is it a diuretic and draws fluid out of the body, so one side effect might possibly be constipation. The way to avoid this is to just add fluid (water or broth) to their food so they stay hydrated via the digestive system.

        Miralax, yes the human supplement, can be used on cats, but use sparingly. It is contraindicated for patients (humans or animals) who have kidney insufficiency, so should be used with caution if your cat also has kidney issues.

        We give our Misty, who is a heart and kidney kitty, no more than 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. She also gets 1cc of lactulose. Mix the miralax in a tiny bit of water (about 1cc) and just syringe it into their mouth, or mix it in a little bit of canned or baby food, but add water to it. The miralax should be given with water.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2013
          Thank you Carol. I do take Mira Lax myself and Sheba (heart kitty, no kidney issues) seems to be a bit constipated lately. Her stools are either long and really thin or small round balls. Not as bulky as before. She does get pumpkin everyday but I have been giving her extra hairball remedy too. It does seem to help.

          But I might also try some mira lax too. I add water to her pate food everyday so a 1/8 tsp mix in my help as well.

          Thank you for the speedy reply,
          Jordan and Sheba

          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2013
            Before trying miralax on Sheba, I would try a little psyllium powder and/or slippery elm powder. I have found that butternut squash actually words better than pumpkin on my guys. My Puddy is a Manx and has lots of elimination problems. I give him squash and psyllium and just a tiny, like 1/16th tsp of miralax and it keeps him going pretty well.

            Carol

            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2013
              I do think a lot of feline elimination problems start out as a lack of enough water in the diet. I like slippery elm bark powder mixed with water to make up a slurry or what might be considered a syrup given daily when there are bowl problems, it is very healing as well as helping get waste moving...just don't give this with supplements or meds...instead at least 2 hrs away from dosing, since is can impede absorption of nutrients.

              Marianna

              Message 6 of 7 , May 26, 2013
                Every cat is different. Mirilax simply retains water in the stool, it's not a laxative per se, but does keep things moving as a result of the water. It is a preventive drug, not to be used to unblock a blocked cat. I give May ~1/4 tsp mirilax per day, mix it in her food.

                I put 1/4 tsp psyllium in each batch of May's food, enough for 4 days. I'm afraid more will bloat or upset her stomach. Psyllium may or may not be fermentable by cats, so might not contribute to healthy gut bacteria. (this from felineconstipation.org)

                I tried psyllium once to see what it was like and it was quite bloating. (I like to try whatever I can, to see what it might feel like to her, but not meds, of course!)
                I give May ~1/4 tsp mirilax per day, mix it in her food.

                I think I heard that slippery elm needs to be given apart from meds as it might affect absorption, but I'm not sure on this.

                -Lee and May
                Re: lasix and mira lax
                Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 (PDT)Posted by:"Carol" carolroars

                Message 7 of 7 , May 26, 2013
                  Yes, slippery elm should be given at least an hour away from other meds/supplements, because of it's mucilagenous nature, it can inhibit the absorption of other things.

                  Carol