Re: Interesting article re heart meds

  • mukki2
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      I had read elsewhere that heart meds may not have any benefits for
      cats (or dogs) that have not shown any symptoms of heart disease
      (i.e., those who are in the early stages of heart disease). This
      would make sense with regard to ACE inhibitors since their primary
      benefit is treating the symptoms of heart disease, not the actual
      disease itself.

      Hilary

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Sandler, Zellene E."
      <zellene.sandler@p...> wrote:
      > I'm curious what you all think of this article.
      > Toward the end of this article, the author states that beta
      blockers and
      > calcium channel blockers have not been shown to stop severe HCM
      from getting
      > worse. (So why are we giving them?) This is kind of depressing but
      I'm not
      > sure what kind of studies have
      > actually been done with cats. I'm also not sure if most of these
      meds are
      > used routinely though not actually approved for vet use in cats.
      This does
      > happen a lot, where human drugs are used for animals because they
      seem to
      > help, though they haven't been really tested for non-humans!
      >
      > http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/sacs/notes/VEM5301.pdf

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2002

        Thanks for posting this. I finally got around to reading it &
        while there was a fair amount that I couldn't understand, it was
        still quite helpful.

        > Toward the end of this article, the author states that
        > beta blockers and
        > calcium channel blockers have not been shown to stop
        > severe HCM from getting
        > worse. (So why are we giving them?)

        > http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/sacs/notes/VEM5301.pdf

        I can think of 2 reasons for their use (yes, I'm guessing):

        1) While these drugs have not been shown to ftop HCM from
        worsening, vets believe that they do help.

        2) They improve the quality of life (i.e., the cats feel better).

        JR
        Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet