dropping in with quick question on purchasing stethoscope

  • NancyS
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013
      Hey all, it's beem a long time since I've been here, since my CRF kitty Shelby succumbed to heart failure on January 17, 2008. I am currently treating my l6 year old lymphoma kitty who also has CRF. He is presently undergoing chemo. He gets sub-q fluids daily. I divide the 150 ml into 2 sessions because he has a heart murmur. I do not know the condition of his heart right now, we are working on getting his lymphoma into remission. If all goes well with the lymphoma, I will likely get an echo done. Meanwhile, an xray of his heart was done prior to a full mouth extraction a few weeks back. I only know that they felt comfortable with the anesthesia. After losing my Shelby to HCM and heart failure, I am always paranoid of the sub-q fluids going to my kitties chest. I would like to purchase a stethoscope so I can listen for myself. I have plenty of other kitties in the household to use for comparison purposes. I know nothing about stethoscopes and would like tips on where to purchase. I have seen that there are videos out there on how to use it. Can someone direct me to a place I can purchase an expensive but useful one?

      Nancy & Willie
    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2013
        Nancy,

        I actually have the same question and was researching this. There are lots
        of them on Amazon and I couldn't decide which to buy. Coincidently, I was at
        my sister-in-law's house last week and she was throwing one away that was
        from a children's doctor's kit. I grabbed it and it actually works well
        enough for me to count Esther's heart rate. Of course it's probably not good
        enough to detect murmurs, etc., but then I wouldn't know what I am hearing
        anyway. I can do comparisons with my two other cats, but I haven't tried it
        yet.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 6 , May 25, 2013
          Hi

          I got the one for medical students off Ebay, it's good enough to hear the
          heart rate and breathing. It works for me and was less than £10.

        • r schu
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2013
            I called Stethoscope.com, locally in Natick, MA the man who answered was super helpful. He advised a pediatric, not infant which I thought I wanted, and ADC brand, which was the least expensive.

            The thing works great, it's super helpful, and I think it was around $40.

            -Lee and May

            dropping in with quick question on purchasing stethoscope
            Fri May 24, 2013 5:17 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
            "NancyS" asoulgirl
[...]

          • Pablo Frank
            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2013

              what help that instrument can give for a no-professional ?

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , May 26, 2013
                I'm not a professional, but can really hear her heart rate and count it, can hear the irregular gallop rhythm very easily, and know when it's fast or irregular, and I report to our vet.

                Re: dropping in with quick question on purchasing stethoscope
                Sun May 26, 2013 6:22 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                "Pablo Frank" pablo_frank2000