Fluid build up

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013
      Can anyone tell me what symptoms I should look for that might suggest fluid build up and warrant putting Calvin on a diuretic?
      Nancy
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2013
        Nancy,

        Are you counting Calvin's resting respiration rate?  This is the best indication of fluid beginning to build up. I don't know Calvin's background but was he on a diuretic in the past?  If so, why was it stopped?

        Laurie

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2013
          Hi Nancy

          Any change in breathing at rest. An increased rate, double breaths where
          they take in twice, gasping, open mouth, wheezing, drawing the stomach in
          with a breath, sitting up like a sphinx, a cough.. any of those. Basically any
          change in breathing..

        • Nancy W
          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2013
            Thank you, Laurie, Lyn and Robin. I haven't been checking Calvin's breaths per minute often. He has had episodes of rapid breathing for years. I used to compare it to my other cat. The vet said I can't compare because my other cat doesn't have asthma like Calvin. That was before the CHF. I just counted Calvin's breaths now -- 28 breaths per minute. Over the years I've seen him breathing quite a bit faster than he is now and that was before the CHF.

            His breathing is noisy sometimes -- kind of like a snoring or grunting sound -- when he's awake. He coughs a couple times a day. So I guess he has symptoms of fluid build-up but can other things cause the same symptoms?

            On x-rays, there was no sign of fluid build-up. But the vet said we can try Lasix anyway. We started it on 5/21 and stopped it after this mornings dose. Calvin is constipated since he started Lasix. I called the vet today and she said stop the Lasix and pick up some Laxatone. So I don't know if he needs it or not. We have a vet apt on Tuesday so I'll see what she says. I can't afford a cardiologist and ultrasound so I'm trying to do what I can. But it's not looking good.

            Nancy

            >________________________________

          • Laurie Stead
            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2013
              Nancy. Heart trumps constipation. I am shocked your vet said to stop the lasix over that. I would continue with lasix and give Miralax to help new forming stool retain water making it easier for him to go. The 28 rrr is not alarming but it's probably due to the lasix in his system. Do continue it until you can do a further exam. Laurie

              ----------
              Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone

              Thank you, Laurie, Lyn and Robin. I haven't been checking Calvin's breaths per minute often. He has had episodes of rapid breathing for years. I used to compare it to my other cat. The vet said I can't compare because my other cat doesn't have asthma like Calvin. That was before the CHF. I just counted Calvin's breaths now -- 28 breaths per minute. Over the years I've seen him breathing quite a bit faster than he is now and that was before the CHF.

              His breathing is noisy sometimes -- kind of like a snoring or grunting sound -- when he's awake. He coughs a couple times a day. So I guess he has symptoms of fluid build-up but can other things cause the same symptoms?

              On x-rays, there was no sign of fluid build-up. But the vet said we can try Lasix anyway. We started it on 5/21 and stopped it after this mornings dose. Calvin is constipated since he started Lasix. I called the vet today and she said stop the Lasix and pick up some Laxatone. So I don't know if he needs it or not. We have a vet apt on Tuesday so I'll see what she says I can't afford a cardiologist and ultrasound so I'm trying to do what I can. But it's not looking good.

              Nancy

            • tamitamco
              Message 6 of 6 , May 25, 2013
                Nancy,

                I believe that keeping a close eye on the weights can help you be aware of overhydration. I did not have one when Staci overhydrated. Now we have a modified postage scale. I was weighing her with me on a people scale, but that was not accurate.

                I feel that I should add that although I have heard that the respiration rate is important, and can be a sign of overhydration, there will not always be a high respiration rate with overhydration. Staci has always maintained between 20-24 breaths a minute, even through her bloating/inappetance/fluid pouch retaining/constipation episode of a couple weeks.

                Oh, and this one might be obvious to you, but just in case.... Never give fluids again when the last fluids have not been absorbed. Be sure to check the whole body. Fluid is usually around the belly and shoulder, but can be between the back legs. Also look for "puffiness" of the paws.

                Take care,
                Tami, Staci's mom