Re: [FH] Vetmedin help

  • Christina Felty
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24 8:48 AM
      Mary Sue

      I also rub my pill pockets in a crushed treat. I use freeze dried chicken breast crumbs. My cat is so thrilled with this that he jumps on the counter and salivates.

      Another thing I do is give him his medicine chased very quickly with greenie crunchy treats.

      It immediately makes him forget about the yucky pill taste.

      Btw I always snap the vetmedin in two pieces.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 24, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Mary Sue Rubin <msrubin@...> wrote:

      > Esther went through eating the first one plain (that only happened once),
      > eating it in a chicken pill pocket (that lasted a few weeks), eating it in a
      > salmon pill pocket ( a couple of weeks), to now eating it in a salmon pill
      > pocket rolled in crushed dried fish treats. This last way works almost every
      > time, but if she doesn't eat it I put it in a number 1 gel capsule covered
      > with butter and use a pill gun. I actually break the half pill in half and
      > use two pill pockets. The pill pocket is food which the vet said shouldn't
      > be given near the pill, but he said to go ahead and use the pill pocket
      > anyway. The Vetmedin insert says nothing about administering with or without
      > food.
      >
      > Mary Sue

    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24 1:45 PM
        Blake,

        When I can't get my girl to take a pill pocket. I put her pill in a gel cap and slather it with chicken spread and she gobbles it down.

        http://www.underwoodspreads.com/?gclid=CPK-svbNr7cCFS9dQgod0Q4AHw

        Good luck,
        Jordan and Sheba

      • Morven Doyle
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 11:45 PM
          Hi there,

          If all else fails try grinding the vetmedin into a fine powder, buy a product called 'webbox' - kinda yoghurt for cats - squeeze a wee drop into the powder, mix into a paste, put it on ur finger. If ur lucky, Schmutz will happily lick it off your finger. If not, smear the tastey paste onto the back leg (kinda where the leg joins the body) & Schmutz will clean it from his coat. Worked every tine for my beloved wee Mia until she lost her wee fight, had enough & just eventually gave up.

          Good luck! For us it was the perfect solution - stress free for us both.

          Morven x

          On 24 May 2013, at 12:27, Blakey Girl <blakey.girl@...> wrote:

          > So my boy has decided pill pockets are awful. Sigh. His other meds I just have him swallow but he gets half a vetmedin tablet twice a day and I'm losing my mind trying to get him to eat it! Anyone have any advice?
          >
          > Blake and Schmutz

        • Blakey Girl
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26 2:44 PM
            Thanks for all the advice guys! Nothing has been working, but then i realized that this not eating his treats started the day after he was started on Clavamox ( for a lung infection ). It seems that it's a possibility that it could be that according the side effects guide i found online but has anyone had any experience with this? He still eats but not nearly as much and he loved his treats prior to starting. Thanks all!

            Blake and Schmutz

            CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            To: blakey.girl@...
            From: morven.doyle@...