Re: [FH] Vetmedin help

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2013
      Not sure if this may be the issue, but even 1/2 tablet is large in size so I actually split that into two.  It makes for an additional pill to be given, but just seems more manageable for my little girl to eat.  Luckily my little one still likes her pill pockets but the trick is I only use half of one and adhere one of her favorite crunchy treats to the outside :)

      Laurie

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2013
        >>>Anyone have any advice?

        crush it and mix it with the food !

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        From: blakey.girl@...
        Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 07:27:45 -0400

        So my boy has decided pill pockets are awful. Sigh. His other meds I just have him swallow but he gets half a vetmedin tablet twice a day and I'm losing my mind trying to get him to eat it! Anyone have any advice?

        Blake and Schmutz

      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2013
          Esther went through eating the first one plain (that only happened once),
          eating it in a chicken pill pocket (that lasted a few weeks), eating it in a
          salmon pill pocket ( a couple of weeks), to now eating it in a salmon pill
          pocket rolled in crushed dried fish treats. This last way works almost every
          time, but if she doesn't eat it I put it in a number 1 gel capsule covered
          with butter and use a pill gun. I actually break the half pill in half and
          use two pill pockets. The pill pocket is food which the vet said shouldn't
          be given near the pill, but he said to go ahead and use the pill pocket
          anyway. The Vetmedin insert says nothing about administering with or without
          food.

          Mary Sue

          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2013
            Mary Sue

            I also rub my pill pockets in a crushed treat. I use freeze dried chicken breast crumbs. My cat is so thrilled with this that he jumps on the counter and salivates.

            Another thing I do is give him his medicine chased very quickly with greenie crunchy treats.

            It immediately makes him forget about the yucky pill taste.

            Btw I always snap the vetmedin in two pieces.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On May 24, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Mary Sue Rubin <msrubin@...> wrote:

            > Esther went through eating the first one plain (that only happened once),
            > eating it in a chicken pill pocket (that lasted a few weeks), eating it in a
            > salmon pill pocket ( a couple of weeks), to now eating it in a salmon pill
            > pocket rolled in crushed dried fish treats. This last way works almost every
            > time, but if she doesn't eat it I put it in a number 1 gel capsule covered
            > with butter and use a pill gun. I actually break the half pill in half and
            > use two pill pockets. The pill pocket is food which the vet said shouldn't
            > be given near the pill, but he said to go ahead and use the pill pocket
            > anyway. The Vetmedin insert says nothing about administering with or without
            > food.
            >
            > Mary Sue

          • Jordan
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2013
              Blake,

              When I can't get my girl to take a pill pocket. I put her pill in a gel cap and slather it with chicken spread and she gobbles it down.

              http://www.underwoodspreads.com/?gclid=CPK-svbNr7cCFS9dQgod0Q4AHw

              Good luck,
              Jordan and Sheba

            • Morven Doyle
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                Hi there,

                If all else fails try grinding the vetmedin into a fine powder, buy a product called 'webbox' - kinda yoghurt for cats - squeeze a wee drop into the powder, mix into a paste, put it on ur finger. If ur lucky, Schmutz will happily lick it off your finger. If not, smear the tastey paste onto the back leg (kinda where the leg joins the body) & Schmutz will clean it from his coat. Worked every tine for my beloved wee Mia until she lost her wee fight, had enough & just eventually gave up.

                Good luck! For us it was the perfect solution - stress free for us both.

                Morven x

                On 24 May 2013, at 12:27, Blakey Girl <blakey.girl@...> wrote:

                > So my boy has decided pill pockets are awful. Sigh. His other meds I just have him swallow but he gets half a vetmedin tablet twice a day and I'm losing my mind trying to get him to eat it! Anyone have any advice?
                >
                > Blake and Schmutz

              • Blakey Girl
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26, 2013
                  Thanks for all the advice guys! Nothing has been working, but then i realized that this not eating his treats started the day after he was started on Clavamox ( for a lung infection ). It seems that it's a possibility that it could be that according the side effects guide i found online but has anyone had any experience with this? He still eats but not nearly as much and he loved his treats prior to starting. Thanks all!

                  Blake and Schmutz

                  CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  To: blakey.girl@...
                  From: morven.doyle@...