May - possible emergency - how much lasix?

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21 5:27 PM
      May is 21, crf since 9/09, and hcm as of last summer.  Last June a 50mg lasix shot got her out of fluid on lungs after upping sub q too fast at vet's advice, we did lasix for a week then she was okay, gradually resumed sub q, up to 50cc twice a day.

      In 2/13 she had another e.r. visit for fainting spells and we think this was from fluid on her heart, which was detected 36 hrs later on an echo.  No lasix was given at e.r. visit.  She was put on 3mg maintenance dose, along with 1.25mg benazepril and 1.8mg plavix per day.

      Last week she had a rapid breathing/heart rate episode, followed by a near constant irregular heart rhythm.  Our cardiologist was not concerned as her behaviors had returned to normal not long after.  And said arrythmia can come and go.

      I think something's been coming on since then; slightly labored breathing, irregular heart rhythm.

      Weighed in ~.1 up Saturday morning, so I didn't give her the 25cc sub q til 1pm (by the way, 25cc lrs weights .06lbs - I weighed her before and after)

      Labored breathing late that afternoon, 44, fell asleep, 30, woke her and went to over 50.  Gave 5mg lasix, called e.r., said could give 1.25 more.  Peed ~2hrs later, drank, seemed better, purred, but still...has been up and down since then, eating, but tired, rapid respiration at times, especially after meds and pill chasers of 2-3cc broth or food.

      She's tired, still arrhythmia via stethoscope, respiration goes to 28 or below when sleeping most of the time, but not always, and awake it's higher...sometiems much higher, over 45.

      Going to cardiologist tomorrow. I've been reading about coq10 and had asked cardiologist last week. He said no evidence it helps but doesn't hurt, so is it okay to start this while on plavix? (I just read some of the files on coq10 on the group home page). Where do I get it, and what form? CardioStrength seems more than we need, I already give taurine in food, supplement omega 3, and don't want to fool with adding potassium to a crf kitty.

      Any other supplements I should be thinking about? We're balancing crf and hcm and May is getting tired. If it's the end, then so be it. But if there's something else we can try, then bring it on. I don't want to judge her for age, she might have more life left. I really think her heart needs more help and our cardiologist says it sounds like heart failure so bring her in for exam and we'll discuss what to do.

      Does coq10 help 'replenish' so to speak, things that are lost from lasix, benazepril, plavix?

      I've decided to start coq10. Can I get this from CVS pharmacy or better to get a form from the health food store?

      Anything else we should be thinking about for tomorrow's visit.

      Thank you!

      -Lee and Miss May
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21 7:29 PM
        Lee -

        I am sorry to hear Miss May is having trouble.  You did not mention Vetmedin... is she getting that?  If not that is something I would highly recommend discussing with the cardiologist tomorrow.

        Keeping you both in my thoughts.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 3 , May 22 3:02 AM
          Hi

          Get it from the health store but be aware you cant stop it suddenly so if
          she is hospitalised anytime, you need to make sure they have a supply to
          give her. CoQ helps heart failure in humans and works for my cats.

          Vetmedin is not recommended for HCM but has been a life saver for mine.
          Trixi trialled it when there was no hope. If there is no alternative ask to
          try it, it is an absolute miracle drug for Trixi and Milli.