HCM in 10 month old

  • K
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013
      Hi everyone. I was introduced to this group from a Siamese Group on FB. 4 weeks ago I noticed my 10 month old Si mix, Dali, breathing heavy. I rushed her to the vet and she had X-Rays, ECG, and blood work. Turns out she has HCM and we were lucky to catch it. Dali is now on 1/2 a tablet of Lasix every 8 hours as well as 1/4 of a tablet of another heart medicine. The vet said she could live anywhere from a few days to 6-8 years. Absolute best case, my vet thinks 6 years. I'm already finding this every 8 hours to be tedious, but I don't mind doing it. She's my babiest baby (I have 2 others, they're fine) and I'm just glad she's still alive! And if this is how I keep her alive for longer, then I'll do it. I do get freaked out when I think about things I have coming up though. I have a family reunion this summer, as well as a few small weekend things. I don't feel like I can trust anyone with the responsibility. My husband has given Dali her meds a few times, but that results in me BOMBARDING him with calls/texts to make sure she got it, to make sure she didn't spit it up, etc. The trouble with when the family reunion is, is that his job has him working 10-12 hour shifts, and that is ENTIRELY too long for her to not get her medicine. So then that gives me a bad feeling. How do I get my mind back to normalcy? Also, at Dali's 3 day follow up the vet said she wouldn't kennel Dali if we go away, because it's too stressful for her. She said it's best for D if we have someone come in. I can barely trust my hubs! Let alone a stranger? HA! A few other things I was told were: she can dictate what she can do, meaning if she's tired she will rest and if she wants to play she will play. She shouldn't get any vaccines, at all. I thought this was weird but my cats are STRICTLY indoors. I don't even like them to be on the balcony when we are out there. Also, I think her pee smells strong now.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2013
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear Dali has HCM. Has she has a heart ultrasound to get the
        diagnosis? The pill she is on is likely atenolol and that slows down
        progression. As for the lasix, you may find once she is out of heart failure you
        can reduce the dose to twice daily but don't do that without vet advice as
        fluid in the chest is horrible.

        Why cant she have vaccines? All my heart cats have their shots every year.
        Feline cat flu goes around multi cat households and can be nasty. I was
        wondering what the reason was because mine get them and have no effects at
        all.

        Its good you recognised her breathing increased. That's something to watch
        for, increased rate. You can also start COQ at 30mg but that can't be
        stopped once it starts unless you reduce the dose slowly so would be another
        pill.

        Also HCM is genetic, certainly at such a young age so any siblings are at
        50% risk too.

      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2013
          I'm responding to Lyn's question (below) regarding vaccines though this
          doesn't apply specifically to Dali. The American Association of Feline
          Practitioners, since 2006, has been recommending core vaccines herpes,
          calici, and panleukopenia (and rabies if required by law) be given no more
          than every three years and others only in certain circumstances. The
          guidelines state "no more frequently than every three years". Research has
          shown that most vaccines confer immunity for at least 7 years, some much
          longer. Think about how often we as adults get booster vaccines: hardly
          ever. Though our cats might seem to have no ill side effects from yearly
          vaccines, there is a large body of research showing that over time there are
          many possible chronic and some more acute side effects. I think many vets
          still tell clients to bring their cats in for yearly vaccines as a way to
          make sure the cats get yearly checkups, which of course are very important.
          You can refuse the yearly vaccines and explain the guidelines upon which
          your decision is based and ask your vet why she/he is still recommending
          them. Here is the link to read the summary.
          http://www.catvets.com/uploads/PDF/FINALVaccineTable12.15.pdf You can also
          get the full report from the site. It's quite interesting.

          I do not get vaccines for my cats after the age of eight and they range in
          age from 11 to 18. It was an arbitrary age I chose. So far my vets have
          tolerated my decision. My cats are strictly indoors and have always been
          except for one who was a stray. Titers can be done for peace of mind. When I
          did titers at age 8 for one of my cats she was protected and hadn't had
          vaccines for at least three years prior. Titers are more expensive than
          vaccines, but they don't need to be done every year, so the cost probably
          evens out or might even be less expensive over time.

          Mary Sue