Staci's mom: little old lady pigging out!

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 9:31 AM
      Friends,

      I am so happy to report that Staci is doing well! Here are some recents:

      -today at 5.4 pounds, have been mostly on the 5.3's lately! ( I still want to see her back at 6.5, a skinny but ok weight for her!
      -mouth sores do not outwardly bother her anymore (no face pawing or repeatedly opening and closing mouth) I was able to see them for the first time without a vet to help hold her mouth open yesterday. They are still there but light pink instead of red. I was trying to decide how often to continue the Carafate.
      -yesterday ate her biggest meal ever! The food/water mix she ate was 87 grams! She is normally served 3-4 meals a day of about 50 grams, which she eats about 25grams of! I just had a feeling to serve her more. A family member noticed the huge plate, " is that for 1 cat or 2 cats?" (I only have 1)
      -she is eating more and more canned renal, and less of her favorite dry non-renal
      -after 2 days of increased fluids at 100ml, her drinking has dropped from the 12 oz per day to 4 oz per day. I am taking this as a good sign, as drinking has slowly dropped as fluids increase. (drank 16 oz at 50ml subq, drank 12 oz at 100ml subq, now drank 4oz since the day after going up to 100ml subq) so interesting!

      Take care,
      Tami
    • Cindy Reese
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21 12:05 PM
        Hi Staci - I have never tracked water intake to specific ounces as you have reported. Too many critters and too many water dishes in our house. Sometimes I can tell one is up or down just by noticing a specific water station used mostly by a specific cat is getting empty faster than normal. Or that some cat is spending a lot of time laying with his head in or on the water dish or something like that.

        But, as to your question about the seeming disconnect between earlier water consumption and subq fluid amounts and more current water and fluid amounts I think you answered your own question in this post. You mention kitty is eating more canned food and less dry food and that will contribute significantly to the variance you report. Canned food is something like 90% moisture. If the cat eats dry food it must drink lots more water just to soften and digest that dry food. That will surely contribute to the overall different rate of consumption.

        Cindy and the old kitties in AZ