Staci's mom: observations... Subq fluids and quantity of water drank

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2013
      Friends,

      I thought I would share some observations regarding drinking quantities and subq amounts:

      After 2 days of increased fluids at 100ml, her drinking has dropped from the 12 oz per day to 4 oz per day. (for 2 days now) I am taking this as a good sign, as drinking has slowly dropped as fluids increase. (drank 16 oz at 50ml subq, drank 12 oz at 100ml subq, now drank 4oz since the day after going up to 100ml subq) so interesting!

      Also, before an overhydration crash, she was drinking 8oz with 150ml subq per day.

      Do you have any idea how her fluid needs could have been so different a month ago? If she was drinking 8oz of water a day then, i think she needed that much fluid. (thoughts?) but i take the decreased drinking at 4oz of fluids consumed daily as a sign that we may not need to go higher than 100 ml. Of course i will discuss with the vet, but i feel that she will want to go higher in subq amount than i will be comfortable with.

      Has anyone noticed the correlation with drinking levels and subqs? Have you used the drinking amounts to help determine how much subq to give?

      Take care,
      Tami, Staci's mom