Calvin -CHF

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20 7:51 AM
      Hi,
      I'm new and this is the first time I'm posting about my cat, Calvin. He's approximately 14 and was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur a few months ago and I was told to go back to vet for re-check in 3 months. We saw a different vet last Friday and she said he has Congestive Heart Failure and recommends a cardiologist and ultrasound. Unfortunately I don't have the money anymore to pay for either. So I need to make him as comfortable as I can.

      Calvin also seems to have some neurological issues. The vet said he may have thrown some clots, had small strokes, that may have caused that.

      Calvin has been getting Benazepril since Friday and also had a couple days of Buprenorphine for pain. He has severe spondylosis in his spine, etc. He's very lethargic, doesn't move around much. But he comes around for food although he's leaving some in his dish since starting benazepril.

      On chest x-rays Calvin's heart appears to be of normal size and lungs show broncho-alveolar pattern which is not new as he's had mild asthma for many years. The vet saw no fluid build up but said we can try Lasix anyway.

      Today, I'm going to pick up Lasix and a bronchodilator and then he'll be examined in a week. I hate to take him to the vet. He gets so much more stressed than he used to.

      I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions on how to manage this illness and make Calvin as comfortable as possible.

      Nancy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20 9:04 AM
        Hi Nancy

        The ultrasound is the gold standard test for heart disease as you know but
        we have to make choices based on our budget. And there are things you can
        do. First of all if he has thrown clots, he needs a medication for that.
        That could be plavix (clopidogrel) which your vet would prescribe or
        nattokinase which is a food supplement which dissolves clots. But as small strokes
        can be caused by bleeds, I would use the plavix rather than risk any artery
        wall clots being dissolved. Your vet should prescibe that, all my heart
        cats are now on it.

        The big risk is he will throw a clot to the back legs (saddle thrombosis)
        and this is devastating and often lethal. So please ask for the plavix as
        soon as possible.

        Benazepril is a great drug for my cats, they all take it. And if he is in
        pain the pain killer will help a lot. My Sauce also has spondylosis but uses
        a steroid. Steroids shouldn't be used in cats with heart disease and
        definitely not those in heart failure. Unless there is no choice.

        Lasix will clear fluid from his lungs whilst the benazepril starts to work
        and help his heart.

        Two other things. Consider CoQ10 at 30mg from the health store. It helps a
        lot with cardiac kitties. And when he is next resting count his breaths for
        15 secs, times by 4 to get the rate for minute. Also watch how he
        breathes, note the rhythm. Once you know what's normal, keep an eye on it and see
        if it changes. 30 breaths per minute is time to see the vet, over 40 an
        emergency. (Must be at rest) A change in the breathing pattern is also a red
        flag.

        :) Lyn

      • Nancy W
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21 11:14 AM
          Hi Lyn,

          Thanks for the information.  We don't really know for sure if Calvin has thrown clots.  The vet just thinks it's a possibility.  So do I.  He is very unsteady on his feet, stumbles sometimes, and has fallen probably more times than I'm aware of. He doesn't try to jump anymore at all except for maybe one time in the morning when he tries to jump up on the bed to see me.  He used the sleep with me but now spends all him time on the floor unless I pick him up.  He has a difficult time finding a comfortable position on my lap so he doesn't stay long.

          He also seems to have trouble eating now also. Another reason I think he may have had some strokes. He only licks the food, can't seem to bite anymore, just pushes the food around with his tongue. He just had a dental a couple months ago so his teeth should be OK. He doesn't clean his face after he eats or groom himself at all anymore.  So I clean his face after he eats and wipe him down with a damp washcloth occasionally.

          Calvin has been on benazepril for almost a week and just started Lasix and theophylline today. The vet doesn't want to prescribe anything else without an ultrasound  But I don't have the money to do it or it would have been done by now. Are you saying that you think the Plavix would be better to use than Nattokinase?  I may have to use Natto since it doesn't require Rx.  What is the dose for 11lb 3oz cat?  Do you use softgels and squeeze it into cat's food or capsules sprinkle into food?  Do cat's usually do OK with the taste?

          Does CoQ10 get mixed in with food?  I'm already adding a lot to Calvin's food so I don't know how much more he'll allow.  I've been putting his 3 Rx meds in a food treat to administer.  But that's getting difficult since he's only licking now.

          Thanks for your help.

          Nancy

          >________________________________

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22 2:59 AM
            Hi Nancy

            The nattokinase I use is Doctor's Best and I give 1 capsule a day. Its a
            small gel cap and as its just a food enzyme it could be sprinkled into food
            gravy? It has to be a brand without vitamin K which Doctors Best is. The CoQ
            comes as a larger capsule and is an oily liquid which could go into some
            tuna juice.

            His behaviour does sound as if he is confused and in pain so the pain
            killer should help a lot.

            :) Lyn