Re: New kitty, Spirit - question about aspirin

  • bingley50
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2013
      Thank you, Lyn and Mary Sue.

      I found in the feline-heart files that the maximum dosage for aspirin therapy is 81 mg every three days. Spirit has been doing well on this dosage, but I am aware of the risks to his liver. I am going to cut his dosage and see how he does.

      Well, I am making plans to move soon, and most likely he and my other cats will have to be indoor-only. I do have a harness and leash which Spirit has used before, so maybe he can still get some fresh air and sunshine after we move.

      Lyn, I'm sorry that Maxi had a heart attack. I will learn how to check Spirit's heart rate and to monitor him. Thank you for that information.

      Heather & Spirit

      > Aspirin dose I thought was a 1/4 of a baby aspirin every three days.
      >
      > Watch his breathing and note any changes to the rate or type. Last week
      > Maxi's breathing rate increased by 5 beats per minute and his chest was
      > pulling in. He'd had a heart attack. It's vital to keep an eye on that.
      >
      > Lyn
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20, 2013
        Hi Heather

        I wouldn't cut the dosage without asking the cardiologist. Spirit may be at
        high clot risk so may need that dose. There is a safer alternative called
        plavix but it is a bitter pill and unless they gulp it down, can be nasty
        taste.

        Maxi's breathing rate was what we monitor. I don't tend to check heart
        rates, just breathing. I know exactly what is normal (in rate per minute and
        type of breaths) for each cat. A quick check once a day tells me if anything
        is worsening.

        Lyn:)

      • bingley50
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2013
          Lyn,

          Yes, I will check with my cat's cardiologist first. I am so afraid of him getting a blood clot.

          Sorry about my mistake with Maxi's breathing rate. Thank you for the clarification. I just had two other cats dx'd with hyperthyroidism recently and have been feeling overwhelmed.

          Heather