LiLi - Starting Amlodipine - Mild Heart Disease

  • s_l_toth
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 11:59 AM
      Hi Everyone. A couple of months ago at LiLi's wellness/asthma check, it was noted on her x-ray that her heart was slightly enlarged. We had an echo done and sent off to a cardiologist. His opinion was do nothing at this time - her heart was functioning at the lower limits of normal.

      I felt it best to get a 2nd opinion directly from a cardiologist, which I did last Thursday. Her BP was 170, which is a little high. There is mild left atrial dilation, left ventricular contractility at lower limits of normal, borderline systemic arterial hypertension. The lower left part of her heart is somewhat enlarged.

      He said to start her on Amlodopine, which would lower her blood pressure and reduce the load on her heart. Re-evaluate in 6 months.

      He said we could give her 250 mg. of Taurine 3 x's a week. He did not object to CardioStrength, although I haven't started that. But I am giving her 250 mg. of Taurine daily because that's what's in the CardioStrength.

      Just wondering if anyone else is treating their kitties for something similar and what their experiences were.

      Thanks!

      Sandy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20 2:38 AM
        Hi Sandy

        Amlodopine is very commonly given now to cats and will reduce blood
        pressure effectively. High blood pressure is dangerous in cats as in humans. Once
        you start, have the pressure measured again a few weeks later to get it
        right. Tom has been on amlodipine since he lost his sight in one eye due to
        high BP causing a retinal bleed five years ago.

      • tamitamco
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20 9:00 AM
          Sandy,

          My vet thought it was important to recheck blood pressure after 1 week to make sure it didn't drop too low. I hope you are planning a recheck. We just have crf and high blood pressure.

          Take care,
          Tami, Staci's mom