My cat has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and IBD -- I'm so confused!

  • Carole
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2013
      My 15 year old cat Rusty has been on lactulose for chronic constipation for years. About last September he was put on prednisolone for chronic vomiting and being miserable -- spending most of his time huddled under the bed -- very unusual for him. The prednisolone has worked very well. In March I found out that he also has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which for the time being does not need to be treated. But I've heard that prednisolone is not good for a cat with heart disease. I heard about using budesonide on this site for the IBD but when I called the vet today she said that since all the medicines I have to give Rusty need to be liquid (I can't get pills down him) that the budesonide would not work too well in liquid form. Then she mentioned trying cerenia. But when I looked that up it said it was not for long term use. I'm so confused! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

      Carole & Rusty
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2013
        Hi Carole

        It is true that steroids are dangerous to a HCM cat and can push a cat into
        heart failure as they increase fluid retention which puts a load on the
        heart. BUT.. untreated IBD can be very nasty too and lead to intenstinal
        bleeds. It's a balance. Cerenia just stops them feeling sick but doesn't help
        IMB in the intestines as far as I know. If he needs the steroid for quality
        of life then he needs it, but you need to watch carefully for signs of
        heart failure such as increase in breathing rate (at rest) or change in the
        look of the breathing or unable to lie down comfortably.

        :) Lyn

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013
          Please keep in mind that...

          While "Cerenia" is dispense by vets to stops cats from nausea/ feeling sick. It is more appropriate for dogs. A newer anti nausea drug is far better suited to cats. It is...

          Subject: ZOFRAN [Ondansetrom] of Anzamet [Dolasetron] are anti-nausea meds for cats

          make your vet give you a written prescription
          for Zofran (ondansetron) or Anzamet (dolasetron) so that you can call around
          pharmacies for a good price. Don't let them tell you that Cerenia (maropitant)
          or Reglan (metoclopramide) are anti-nausea meds for cats. It is not so!

          HTH

          Marianna

          -

          Marianna