Snowflake needs your help! Thank you!

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 2 , May 18 8:06 AM
      I took Snowflake to the vet because of his irregular heart rate, both last evening and first thing this morning. The vet was not very hopeful, but I am trying to be aggressive.

      Here are Snowflake's lab results from today. (Results from March 5th, May 8th,and today, in that order.) Help! The vet does not really believe he will survivethe weekend. We are treating infection with Baytril injections now, also Denamarin, Azodyl, B vitamins, methylcobalamin B12, Enalapril, 100 mL LR. Think that's it... My mind is a mess.

      > GLU (71-159) 182 123 106
      > BUN (16-36) 63 85 130
      > CREA (0.8-2.4) 2.0 3.3 10
      > BUN/CREA 32 26
      > PHOS (3.1-7.5) 8.1 6.1 16.1
      > CA (7.8-11.3) 8.5 9.1 7.2
      > TP (5.7-8.9) 8.6 8.4 6.3
      > ALB (2.3-3.9) 2.3 2.5 2.2
      > GLOB (2.8-5.1) 6.3 5.9 4.1
      > ALB/GLOB 0.4 0.4 0.5
      > ALT (12-130) 429 >1000 >1000
      > ALKP (14-111) 422 401 151
      > GGT (0-1) 1 5 ?
      > TBIL (0.0-0.9) 0.8 0.5 0.4
      > CHOL (65-225) 213 190 118
      > Na (150-165) 177 165 165
      > K (3.5-5.8) 3.3 3.5 6.5
      > Na/K 54 47 25
      > Cl (112-129) 147 132 130
      > Osm Calc 368 351
      >
      > ProCyte Dx
      > RBC (6.54-12.20) 5.98 3.39
      > HCT (30.3-52.3) 24.0% 13.2
      > HGB (9.8-16.2) 7.9 4.5
      > MCV (35.9-53.1 40.1 38.9
      > MCH (11.8-17.3) 13.2 13.3
      MCHC 34.1
      > RDW (15.0-27.0) 22.2% 20.3
      > %RETIC 0.2% 0.1
      > RETIC (3.0-50.0) 13.8 4.7
      > WBC (2.87-17.02) 23.83 22.43
      > %NEU 75.6% 86
      > %LYM 16.7% 10.4
      > %MONO 4.2% 3.3
      > %EOS 3.4% 0.3
      > %BASO 0.1% 0
      > NEU (1.48-10.29) 18.01 19.27
      > LYM (0.92-6.88) 3.99 2.34
      > MONO (0.05-0.67) 0.99 0.75
      > EOS (0.17-1.57) 0.82 0.06
      > BASO (0.01-0.26) 0.02 0.01
      > PLT (151-600) 390 286

      UA results from 5/18:

      Color: Red
      Clarity: Cloudy
      Odor: N/A
      Specific Gravity: 1.017
      Ketones: Negative
      Blood: LARGE
      pH: 6.0
      Glucose: Negative
      Urobilinogen: Normal
      Bilirubin: Negative
      Protein: 100
      Crystals: Calcium Oxalate/HPF
      Casts: None seen/HPF
      WBCs: TNTC/HPF
      RBCs: TNTC/HPF
      Bacteria: Small amount of cocci/HPF

      Any help and advice will be appreciated! I can't give up on my boy!!

      Thank you so much,
      Deb and Snowflake
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18 11:06 AM
        Hi

        Two things jump out immeidately. He is in kidney failure and his red blood
        cells are dropping drastically. If he is to have any chance I would be
        looking at hospitalisation and IV fluids and dealing with that anaemia with
        blood transfusion. That is all drastic and it would depend what is causing it.
        If it is old age kidney failure then there is nothing you can do but ease
        his passing. If it is caused by an infection, the baytril is the best
        antibiotic. If there is blood loss it needs to know where. If there is anaemia
        caused by bone marrow problem or gut problem, steroids are desperate.

        I`m so sorry, there are so many possibilities. I would consult an expert
        immediately to see if anything can be done. And if not, consider the last act
        of kindness for Snowflake.