Re: [FH] I think my cat was misdiagnosed with HCM!.

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17 10:58 PM
      Dear Kenny,
      My quick answer is that you should be bringing your questions and concerns to the cardip vet, *not* your regular vet, who is not qualified to dx or treat the potential illnesses you are concerned with.

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 3 , May 18 2:12 AM
        Hi

        I would go for the ultrasound in the next few weeks and get a definite
        diagnosis. HCM can be hidden easily and unfortunately the first symptom can be
        sudden heart failure with no signs whatsoever. If dehydration is the cause
        of the previous echo, your cat will be declared free of the disease this
        time which is great. But if he has HCM, he will need to start some treatment
        to slow it down, like a beta blocker. HCM cats don't always have a murmur
        either.

        It sounds like he had a bad reaction to the surgery, I`m not sure what was
        going on but I`m glad he's recovered now. My HCM cats were diagnosed as
        kittens and some later. Topsy was at three and she runs, plays, eats and has
        no symptoms whatsoever.