New kitty, Spirit - question about aspirin

  • bingley50
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2013
      Hi, I'm new to the group but not new to the disease, unfortunately. My cat, Spirit, was dx'd with HCM approximately 2 years and four months ago and he has been doing very well, knock on wood. He had been a starving stray who found his way to a friend of mine. I adopted Spirit, an all-white, long haired kitty. He had already been neutered before he found himself homeless, and I estimate his age of when I adopted him to be around 2, which would make him around 5.5 years old now.

      Spirit had such a difficult time adjusting to his new home with me and had some pretty bad fights with the other cats. He got to know the regular vet and the ER vet pretty well. My regular vet would check his heart every time he came there, even though it wasn't a wellness exam. It was one of those visits, he had torn his claw almost completely off somehow, where she thought she heard a murmur. He had an echo done and HCM was confirmed.

      Spirit is doing a lot better with the other cats, but there is still some tension between him and one of the others. Occasionally they fight, but for the most part they try to leave each other alone. He and the other cats go outside, but come inside at night. My vet recommended that he be an indoor-only cat, but Spirit is just what his name implies: he's a free-spirit. Allowing him to go outside calms him down much more than if he had to be stuck indoors. And staying calm is what he needs.

      He's been on Enalapril, Atenolol, and a baby aspirin (81 mg) every three days since his dx. My question regarding the aspirin is, is this a standard dosage? Or should I not be giving him a whole pill with each dose? This is what the cardiologist recommended. Spirit has been doing well on these meds and hasn't had to change anything since his dx. He had his last check up in October and is due for another one. I've got two other cats who were recently dx'd with hyperthyroidism and I'm trying to get them under control, so Spirit will go back as soon as I possibly can.

      I'm so sorry for those who are having a difficult time with their kitties' heart dz. I have lost one suddenly from a blood clot in the past and I know how devastating it is.

      Heather, Spirit & the gang
    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2013
        My cat’s cardiologist prescribed ¼ of an 81mg aspirin twice a week.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2013
          Hi Heather

          The only risk for Spirit being outside is if he doesn't come home and
          misses his dose of atenolol which can't be stopped. Otherwise I would allow him
          outside if he is used to it and stays in the garden, he doesn't know he is
          ill and quality of life is important too especially if he were miserable.
          But if strays away, I`d be cautious, there is always the risk of a clot too
          since the cardiologist put him on aspirin. We enclosed the garden for our
          HCM cats. The other risk is if chased, he won't be able to run as fast.

          Aspirin dose I thought was a 1/4 of a baby aspirin every three days.

          Watch his breathing and note any changes to the rate or type. Last week
          Maxi's breathing rate increased by 5 beats per minute and his chest was
          pulling in. He'd had a heart attack. It's vital to keep an eye on that.

        • bingley50
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2013
            Thank you, Lyn and Mary Sue.

            I found in the feline-heart files that the maximum dosage for aspirin therapy is 81 mg every three days. Spirit has been doing well on this dosage, but I am aware of the risks to his liver. I am going to cut his dosage and see how he does.

            Well, I am making plans to move soon, and most likely he and my other cats will have to be indoor-only. I do have a harness and leash which Spirit has used before, so maybe he can still get some fresh air and sunshine after we move.

            Lyn, I'm sorry that Maxi had a heart attack. I will learn how to check Spirit's heart rate and to monitor him. Thank you for that information.

            Heather & Spirit

            > Aspirin dose I thought was a 1/4 of a baby aspirin every three days.
            >
            > Watch his breathing and note any changes to the rate or type. Last week
            > Maxi's breathing rate increased by 5 beats per minute and his chest was
            > pulling in. He'd had a heart attack. It's vital to keep an eye on that.
            >
            > Lyn
          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2013
              Hi Heather

              I wouldn't cut the dosage without asking the cardiologist. Spirit may be at
              high clot risk so may need that dose. There is a safer alternative called
              plavix but it is a bitter pill and unless they gulp it down, can be nasty
              taste.

              Maxi's breathing rate was what we monitor. I don't tend to check heart
              rates, just breathing. I know exactly what is normal (in rate per minute and
              type of breaths) for each cat. A quick check once a day tells me if anything
              is worsening.

              Lyn:)

            • bingley50
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2013
                Lyn,

                Yes, I will check with my cat's cardiologist first. I am so afraid of him getting a blood clot.

                Sorry about my mistake with Maxi's breathing rate. Thank you for the clarification. I just had two other cats dx'd with hyperthyroidism recently and have been feeling overwhelmed.

                Heather