New to group - Questions about Tiger and I'm posting his latest blood test

  • greg4tiger
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2013
      Hoping for some feedback from this group and the HyperT group regarding anything I can do to help Tiger. It's been a very sobering time lately but Tiger seems better than his prognosis would suggest.
      The only thing I'm wondering is - he's sneezing a bit more than usual. I didn't know cats sneezed and wonder if it's any kind of indicator I should pay attention to. I also wonder is it's wise to add any of the
      nutrients I got for him in the last weeks in addition to the meds he gets. Just to make things easy I'll repeat what he is getting:
      methimazole 2.5mg 2x/day
      furosemide (lasix) 12.5mg 1 whole and 1/2 tablet a day
      Atenolol 1/4 of 6.25mg tablet 2x/day
      1/4 aspirin 2x/week

      my question is what help might this be? Or would they interfere with the prescription med?
      CoQ10
      L-Carnitine
      Taurine
      Fish Oil

      I don't think I can make any mistakes with this but would like to help him as much as possible.
      His appetite is fine and he is drinking (not booze...)

      Thanks you and Hello all,

      Greg
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2013
        Hi Greg

        There is a lot you can do to help tiger. All of those supplements are fine
        and are food supplements and won't affect his medications. The carnitine,
        taurine and CoQ are all available in the Vetriscience cardiostrength that
        mine took safely for years.

        Sneezing can have a number of causes. Does he have runny eyes as well and
        what colour is the snot? If green it means bacterial and he needs
        antibiotics, if clear it may be viral. If it continues, I would get his upper teeth
        checked as dental disease can cause sneezing as can something like a grass
        seed stuck in the nose.

        Hyperthyroid can cause secondary HCM so its good that is under control.

        If there eis any wheezing in his chest then get him to the vet straight
        away as infections reaching the lungs are more serious. Count his breaths and
        learn what is normal at rest. Should be between 15 and 25ish per minute.
        Over 30 caution, over 40 emergency. learn what looks and is normal for Tiger
        then you cna see changes quickly.

        I know I keep repeating this advice but Maxi last week had no increase in
        breaths, no symptoms but a change in his breathing, he was drawing his ribs
        in. A red flag, we took him to the cardiologist and he's had a heart
        attack. It's SO important we know what is normal in number of breaths and how
        they look to pick up changes quickly.

        :) Lyn