Endocardial Fibroelastosis

  • mer99lin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2013
      Has anyone experienced this? I just lost a 5 1/2 week old kitten to it confirmed by exhaustive necropsy. Looks like her surviving litter mate may also have it. I can find very little information on it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Message me privately if you would prefer. I am looking for information on incidence, cause, and likelihood of other kitten surviving. Thanks.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2013
        Hello

        I am very sorry you have lost your kitten. This is a rare disorder and one
        of the cardiomyopathy type diseases and is found in Siamese and Burmese
        cats as a genetic disorder. There is little research but there is evidence it
        is genetic unfortunately so since it usually kills at a young age it is
        likely a carried gene and both parents of your kittens carried it. Very very
        few cats with this disease would reach breeding age.

        Unfortunately the prognosis is not good. Oxygen therapy if the kitten is
        struggling to breathe and long term treatment can help but you need to see
        a cardiologist immediately to find which drugs will help the most, if it is
        possible. There is, I believe, the possibility of surgery but research into
        this disease is in its infancy. I have found you some useful links for the
        disease in cats.

        http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/cardiovascular/c_ct_endomyocardial_disea
        ses