OT...Prozac experience?

  • judi_john@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2013
      I'm going to take Tucker off of Prozac after 1.5 years to avoid damage to his liver and/or other organs. Has anyone had experience with this? He was an aggressive rescue, but now he's very sweet...still growls when he's unhappy but doesn't bite or scratch and is very gentle and cuddly. Don't know whether to expect any behavior or medical issues with stopping it...thanks...Judi and Angel Max and Tucker
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2013
        Hi

        From personal experience don't drop it suddenly. You need to taper it down
        very slowly to avoid withdrawal affects and anxiety. What dose is he on?
        Prozac has quite a long half life so any effects from withdrawal would be
        about 5-14 days after. Dropping suddenly causing horrible sensations like
        electric zaps and a feeling of intense dizziness when moving your head. Search
        for prozac withdrawal and do it very slowly.

      • Nancy W
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2013
          Hi-  I'm new and this is the first time I'm posting.  I agree with Lyn that you need to go very slowly with this.  The withdrawal can be horrible, causing aggression, anxiety, and many many more symptoms.  For humans, it is recommended to reduce 10% of the current dose at a time.  Because of Prozac's very long half life, there should be about 1 month between reductions.  It can take a long time.  If you make a reduction and notice any symptoms Tucker didn't have before, then go back to the previous dose, wait until he stabilizes, and then make another reduction, but 5% instead of 10%.  And do from there.  These drugs make changes in the brain and it can take a long time for the brain to adjust to being without the drug.  Best wishes to you and Tucker.   -Nancy

          >________________________________

        • Judi Levens
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2013
            thank you both so much for your input. His dose has been 1/2 tablet, and I reduced him today to 1/4 thinking I would do that till I run out (about 10 days.) Do you think that's too dramatic?
            best...Judi and John

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
            From: ilapril@...
            Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:54:41 -0700
            Subject: Re: [FH] OT...Prozac experience?

            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2013
              That's a 50% reduction.  I feel terrified for your cat.  If it was my cat, and I understand it's not, I would get liquid Prozac from a compounding pharmacy with flavor added and start with 10% reductions and watch Tucker's reaction and go from there.  He may be fine with the reduction you did, but I wouldn't take the chance.  I've experienced withdrawal from this type of drug myself and it is hell if done too quickly.  I don't know what could happen with a cat, but cats have a faster metabolism than humans so you may notice the effects faster than with a human.  I'm just telling you about my experience and it may be entirely different for your cat.  Of course, it's your call.
              Nancy

              >________________________________

              2013 6:27 PM >Subject: [FH] OT...Prozac experience? > >  > >I'm going to take Tucker off of Prozac after 1.5 years to avoid damage to his liver and/or other organs. Has anyone had experience with this? He was an aggressive rescue, but now he's very sweet...still growls when he's unhappy but doesn't bite or scratch and is very gentle and cuddly. Don't know whether to expect any behavior or medical issues with stopping it...thanks...Judi and Angel Max and Tucker > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2013
                Hi

                I think that is far too much from personal experience. The anxiety,
                aggression, panic and electric shocks and dizziness was bad even when withdrawing
                slowly. I would do it on your vet's advice as not sure about withdrawal in
                cats. I would start with the liquid prozac and drop 10% each week at the
                very worst. It's a very difficult drug to come off and cause terrible
                withdrawal I`m afraid.