Re: [FH] Re: Yahoo! New to group and need advice

  • karenborga@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2013
      Hi Greg,

      My kitty, Snoop has been on methiamazole for about 10 years...he is 23 years old now and doing well.
      Last summer we added sub-q fluids and he is still doing well. Snoop is not a heart disease kitty....my former cat, Romeo was and I stay on the list to offer support.

      Have faith that your vet will get Tiger's medications sorted out.

      For many of us it helps to write about our emotions and worries.
      You can do that in this group or email members privately.
      The group is set to reply privately so permission is not needed.

      My associates at Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement have an anticipatory chat twice a month.
      1st and 3rd Thursdays each month....next AB chat is this week, 5/16.

      Karen, Asst. Host (Fri)
      Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support

      Visit http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.

      ****

      Greg wrote:
      ....This is going on and on so I'll stop now but if anyone would also like to weigh in on how you've handled your emotions around these sensitive creatures when you're scared out of your mind for their survival I do need to hear it.

      I really cannot wrap my mind around losing him or his brother, Baer who, thank God, is healthier.

      Thank you,

      Greg

      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
    • Diane
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2013
        Greg's original email:

        Greg mailto:indurtrain@...

        Seriously, and I want this to find it's way to the group for input.
        Yesterday we got the results of Tigers blood test and urine test from
        last Friday and it revealed something surprising - for the first time
        since Tiger became HyperT since we started oral methimazole rather
        than transdermal he is HYPO for the first time. We have cut his dose
        by 1/2 and increased his furosemide dose to help with the fluid
        buildup in his lungs while watching out for what his Kidneys will do
        now.

        Since this is the heart group I'll probably have better luck asking
        my questions to this group now that the Thyroid issue is only a part
        of his health issue now so:
        Given that he is taking
        Methimazole
        Lasix (furosemide)
        a beta blocker called Atenolol

        (I'm hoping someone(s) is familiar with all of these so I can ask the
        following:
        with all these drugs would non-drug therapies like - Fish oil (for
        heart and coat - his is a mess now), CoQ10, L-Carnitine or Taurine be
        helpful? I'm interested in whichever can offer him help without
        negative interaction with those drugs.
        Naturally, I'll also ask the Vet(s) but too often they seem unwilling
        or knowledgeable when it comes to vitamins.

        At 6:17 PM +0000 5/14/13, karenborga@... wrote:

        >Hi Greg,
        >
        >My kitty, Snoop has been on methiamazole for about 10 years...he is
        >23 years old now and doing well.
        >Last summer we added sub-q fluids and he is still doing well. Snoop
        >is not a heart disease kitty....my former cat, Romeo was and I stay
        >on the list to offer support.
        >
        >Have faith that your vet will get Tiger's medications sorted out.
        >
        >For many of us it helps to write about our emotions and worries.
        >You can do that in this group or email members privately.
        >The group is set to reply privately so permission is not needed.
        >
        >My associates at Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement have an
        >anticipatory chat twice a month.
        >1st and 3rd Thursdays each month....next AB chat is this week, 5/16.
        >
        >Karen, Asst. Host (Fri)
        >Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support
        >
        >Visit <http://www.aplb.org>http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.
        >
        >****
        >
        >Greg wrote:
        >....This is going on and on so I'll stop now but if anyone would
        >also like to weigh in on how you've handled your emotions around
        >these sensitive creatures when you're scared out of your mind for
        >their survival I do need to hear it.
        >
        >I really cannot wrap my mind around losing him or his brother, Baer
        >who, thank God, is healthier.
        >
        >Thank you,
        >
        >Greg

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2013
          Hi

          Hyperthyroid can cause secondary HCM which can get better if the HT is
          treated. It's a balance to find the right amount of felimasole. My Josh is on
          felimasole, fortekor, lasix and spironolactone and has been balancing
          kidneys, heart and HT for several years. He is at the end stage now. I would
          definitely add CoQ and taurine. All my heart cats, including Josh and several
          on atenolol take CoQ10 at 30 mg daily and have for years. When I used fish
          oil, I bought a brand which pumped out a dose and was made for cats but I
          can't remember the name.

          Fluid off the lungs is an emergency and must be first priority.