Re: Staci's mom: new here, help please!, over hydration, resuming fluids

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 3:27 PM
      Well Tami,

      I just caught up on the list digest from 5/1, where I first read your post, and have been following Staci's story. My May is 21 and has crf as well as hcm. We were doing 100cc lrs eod, then went to daily at vet's advice which contributed to fluid overload last summer. So we stopped then resumed at 35cc twice a day and gradually went up to 45-50 twice a day.

      In Feb she had fainting spells and some fluid on her heart, so we started daily lasix, 3mg, plavix, and benazepril. And went to 25cc lrs twice a day, plus some oral syringing of broth to total 50-65cc per day of fluid.

      She is 3-4 crf stage.

      I was concerned with starting benazepril as it can be bad for kidneys, so need to retest soon after starting. May's crea went up but not enough to cause major problems, and she's been stable til just yesterday...more to follow on that...

      Anyway, what I can offer is that if you aren't yet using a syringe for lrs, it is a way to get the amount accurate. Trusting the level on a bag is not accurate for amounts ~25-50cc. I hate sticking her twice a day but it doesn't seem to bother her any more than normal. I got some 23g needles and that seems to be a good balance between size and time. (25cc doesn't take much time).

      Benazepril lowers renal bp, not overall bp, though it can help with it. It is hard to get it right; kidney bp. May is on 1.25mg once a day of benazepril. I trusted out cardiologist (very good guy), and he says benazepril is very good for hcm.

      Hope this helps and continued good luck with Staci.

      -Lee and May

      Wed May 1, 2013 12:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by: tamitamco

      Hello to all,

      My name is Tami and I am writing you about my 20 year old orange fluffball named Staci. I am trying to figure out if I should be doing anything here about her over hydration. X-rays show fluid in her chest and abdomen. She also has a fluid pouch that appears and disappears. Her hind feet are larger than usual. The last fluids were given just over a week ago. My new vet (who I like), seems to think we just need to wait for the belly bloating to go down on its own. Should I consider pushing for meds or needle to get fluid out of chest and belly???