Re: [FH] Rhapsody's neurology consult

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2013
      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM, honeybee100 <honeybee100@...> wrote:

      > I don't recall seeing that he had been tested for cryptococcus fungal
      > infection, but maybe he has been tested and I missed it. It can be tested
      > with a blood test.

      I don't recall if that's one of the things he was tested for either. I
      will ask. Thanks.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2013
        On May 12, 2013 1:34 PM, "honeybee100" <honeybee100@...> wrote:

        > I don't recall seeing that he had been tested for cryptococcus fungal
        infection, but maybe he has been tested and I missed it. It can be tested
        with a blood test.

        Good call, Melissa! I just talked to the neurologist's tech. I had, as
        instructed, given Rhapsody another dose of prednisolone yesterday after
        three days off, and called this morning to report no recurrence of last
        Friday's zonkedness. The tech relayed instruction from the neurologist to
        resume daily pred for two weeks, then return for recheck and begin reducing
        pred dose. I then asked about cryptococcus. She immediately replied that
        that's one of the possibilities the neurologist is concerned about, that
        she's mentioned it to the internist, and that it's not one of the things
        Rhapsody has been tested for. She said she will discuss it further with the
        neurologist on Thursday.

        You say it can be tested with a blood test. If the blood test is positive,
        is it treatable?

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2013
          On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM, I wrote in response to Melissa:

          > I just talked to the neurologist's tech.... I then asked about cryptococcus. She immediately replied that
          > that's one of the possibilities the neurologist is concerned about, that
          > she's mentioned it to the internist, and that it's not one of the things
          > Rhapsody has been tested for. She said she will discuss it further with the
          > neurologist on Thursday.

          So, she just called to check how Rhapsody is doing with the pred, and
          she said the neurologist and internist had discussed the possibility
          of cryptococcus. They aren't ruling it out completely, but they both
          think it's very unlikely that Rhapsody has it, because if he did have
          it, he wouldn't have survived this long with it.

          We have an appointment to see the neurologist again on May 29, after
          two weeks plus two days on prednisolone.

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...