Re: Staci's mom: restarting fluids, 25 or 50ml, daily?

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13 12:27 AM
      Cindy,

      Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I now have an adapted postage scale, so I can keep a more detailed record of her weights. It is so interesting how the drinking pattern is related to the subqs. When she was getting 150ml subq per day, she drank 8oz of water per day. The day I restarted fluids, she drank over 20oz. At 50 ml per day, she drank about 16oz. On the day after increasing subqs to 75ml, water consumption dropped to 12oz. Interesting.

      Thanks,
      Tami, Staci's mom

      One benefit/use of amlodipine for cats is to slow the heart rate a bit and that helps to lower bp as well. The vet who prescribed amlodipine for Misty RIzty also said it would strengthen her heart but did not explain exactly what she meant by that.

      Yes - you should use kitty's water consumption to gauge fluid but you should rely more on typical signs of dehydration or over hydration. As to the amount, 25 ML sounds like such a tiny amount as to be almost ineffective. Of course it depends on the size of the cat but if he was getting 150 ML then I would think 50 would be a more reasonable quantity.

      I would also encourage you to maintain a detailed weight chart (if you are not already doing so) so that you will see if there is any buildup occurring before you get to crisis mode. I use a postal scale and when some kitty is having an episode I may weight her 10 times a day to get a good idea of the ups and downs. I will weigh before and after fluids. Then I know exactly how much weight 50 ML adds. I will sneak her on the scale after a poop to see how much that changes things.

      Cindy in AZ