Re: [FH] Rhapsody's neurology consult

  • honeybee100
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2013
      Jim,
      I've only read parts of Rhapsody's story and it's clear you are being
      incredibly diligent in trying to help him.

      I don't recall seeing that he had been tested for cryptococcus fungal
      infection, but maybe he has been tested and I missed it. It can be
      tested with a blood test.

      I once took in a rescued cat where the finder thought he'd been hit
      by a car because of abnormal walking and/or balance. The finder had
      taken him to a general DVM but at this moment I don't recall what
      they said, or if they'd done bloodwork or anything. I only had the
      cat a few days. He seemed to be doing better and then one morning I
      found him dead. I had a necropsy done because his sudden death took
      me by surprise. It turned out the cat had cryptococcus that had
      spread to his brain. Of course we had no idea how long he'd had the
      crypto.

      Just thought I'd mention crypto in case it hasn't been checked. I
      think toxoplasmosis can cause similar, but I think you already ruled
      that out. My apologies if these things have already been discussed.

      I wish you success in helping your handsome boy.
      Melissa

      On May 9, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Jim Sinclair wrote:

      > Neurologist suspects brain inflammation: meningitis or
      > encephalitis. Noted
      > ataxia, poor oral tone (which I can relate to his difficulty
      > getting and
      > holding crunchy treats in his mouth), protruding tongue, squinting
      > eyes,
      > and history of those episodes of severe ataxia (or possibly
      > seizures) which
      > have recently been associated with respiratory episodes but first
      > happened
      > (without noticeable respiratory component) when he was less than
      > six months
      > old.

    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2013
        On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM, honeybee100 <honeybee100@...> wrote:

        > I don't recall seeing that he had been tested for cryptococcus fungal
        > infection, but maybe he has been tested and I missed it. It can be tested
        > with a blood test.

        I don't recall if that's one of the things he was tested for either. I
        will ask. Thanks.

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2013
          On May 12, 2013 1:34 PM, "honeybee100" <honeybee100@...> wrote:

          > I don't recall seeing that he had been tested for cryptococcus fungal
          infection, but maybe he has been tested and I missed it. It can be tested
          with a blood test.

          Good call, Melissa! I just talked to the neurologist's tech. I had, as
          instructed, given Rhapsody another dose of prednisolone yesterday after
          three days off, and called this morning to report no recurrence of last
          Friday's zonkedness. The tech relayed instruction from the neurologist to
          resume daily pred for two weeks, then return for recheck and begin reducing
          pred dose. I then asked about cryptococcus. She immediately replied that
          that's one of the possibilities the neurologist is concerned about, that
          she's mentioned it to the internist, and that it's not one of the things
          Rhapsody has been tested for. She said she will discuss it further with the
          neurologist on Thursday.

          You say it can be tested with a blood test. If the blood test is positive,
          is it treatable?

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

        • Jim Sinclair
          Message 4 of 5 , May 17, 2013
            On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM, I wrote in response to Melissa:

            > I just talked to the neurologist's tech.... I then asked about cryptococcus. She immediately replied that
            > that's one of the possibilities the neurologist is concerned about, that
            > she's mentioned it to the internist, and that it's not one of the things
            > Rhapsody has been tested for. She said she will discuss it further with the
            > neurologist on Thursday.

            So, she just called to check how Rhapsody is doing with the pred, and
            she said the neurologist and internist had discussed the possibility
            of cryptococcus. They aren't ruling it out completely, but they both
            think it's very unlikely that Rhapsody has it, because if he did have
            it, he wouldn't have survived this long with it.

            We have an appointment to see the neurologist again on May 29, after
            two weeks plus two days on prednisolone.

            Jim Sinclair jisincla@...