Hyper-t, heart and antihistamines

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2013
      To think I joined last month to get input on Houdini and here I may
      be with my baby Kali. <sigh> I brought her into the vet the other day
      because she's had a non-stop snuffly issue since mid-November or so.
      She'd been given her physical and a round of loratadine. Around
      Christmas I saw a different vet in the practice who did a mirror test
      for breathing obstructions. He put her on prednisolone which I took
      her off of before the week was up because all it did was make her
      drink a lot. We've tried various eye drops (her eyes have been drippy
      all her life). Nothing has ever made a difference, except prior to
      November, it did seem seasonal.

      The other day she actually got stuffy enough that I could hear her
      breathe so I brought her in. This is to the vet who treated my
      cancer/CRF cat and prior heart kitty. Turns out Kali has a heart
      murmur which is either new or the other two vets never heard this.
      Since I got her just after my heart kitty died of a bloodclot, this
      was quite bad news for me! :( Her heart rate and all other vitals
      are fine, lungs sound good etc. Just the murmur, runny eyes and nose.

      We are running a blood panel on her. The vet suggested
      chlorpheniramine for her stuffiness but did say there are cautions to
      giving an antihistamine to a cat with heart issues. Some on the
      feline-herpes list have suggest Zyrtec but that is also a
      antihistamine.

      After what happened to Houdini just a few weeks ago, as you can
      imagine I'm a bit cautious about what I give Kali! I haven't given
      her anything except the lysine, still waiting for the lab results to
      come in.

      Just wondering what those with hyper-t or heart kitties have done.
      She has also dropped about .5 lbs since Christmas and her hair just
      started to look spiky. I'm guessing if I don't get a call from the
      vet in the next hour or so, it will be Monday before I hear from her.
      I don't like hearing her breathe so loud but I am afraid to risk
      hurting her.

      Thanks,
      Diane
    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2013
        Diane,

        I have a heart kitty with feline asthma. Is it possible this is what could be happening with your baby too?? It was actually Sheba's old cardiologist who diagnosed her with feline asthma off her chest Xray. Our regular vet at the time had NO IDEA and incorrectly prescribed antibiotics to my girl for over a year . . . all to no avail. The symptoms would disappear only to return again.

        That is until the asthma diagnosis. Sheba is now successfully on inhaled steroids and her asthma is well controlled. And, she can continue to do so with no adverse affects to heart meds she may be prescribed in the future.

        Our current cardiologist also is fine with me giving her Claritin occasionally for allergies.

        Love and kitty kisses,
        Jordan and Sheba