Re: [FH] Re: Rhapsody after first dose of prednisolone

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2013
      I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2013
        On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM, <mmayer11@...> wrote:

        > I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

        As noted in my post about the neurology consultation, the cardiologist
        was consulted and agreed with the neurologist's and internist's
        recommendation for prednisolone, as his heart condition is mild but
        his lung and suspected brain inflammation are life-threatening.

        I don't know what the next step will be if he can't take the pred.

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2013
          yes, I re-read your post after I mentioned my concern.
          It's just that...I'm super sensitive to this issue... I lost a beloved cat [she was not a senior] to *1* single dosing of pred...she was supposedly without heart problems...yet she died from a heart attack [a cardio had cleared her priorly]. and then watched a human patient with mild 'monitored' heart issues nearly die from a heart attack due to a 3 day dose, less than 6 months ago. So this brings up red flags for me.

          Marianna

          > I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

          As noted in my post about the neurology consultation, the cardiologist
          was consulted and agreed with the neurologist's and internist's
          recommendation for prednisolone, as his heart condition is mild but
          his lung and suspected brain inflammation are life-threatening.

          I don't know what the next step will be if he can't take the pred.

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

        • Lynda
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12, 2013
            Jim, Martha, with HCM and also diabetic, cannot have pred. We are giving her Budesonide, which acts primarily on the gut instead of systemically. You might want to ask your vet about that. We have had good success with it, although it does raise her blood sugar a bit.

          • Jim Sinclair
            Message 5 of 12 , May 12, 2013
              On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Lynda <ibdcat@...> wrote:

              > Jim, Martha, with HCM and also diabetic, cannot have pred. We are giving
              > her Budesonide, which acts primarily on the gut instead of systemically.

              Why is Martha taking it? Does she have IBD? (I'm guessing she does as
              I've just noticed the email address you're posting from.) Rhapsody
              doesn't have any apparent GI problems. If Budesonide acts primarily on
              the gut, would that help a cat with lung and suspected brain
              inflammation?

              Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
            • Lynda
              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                Jim, yes, I don't have an answer to your question. I never thought about it, since Martha has IBD. Maybe some others on here will chime in with an answer, and be sure to ask your vet. I do hope you get a satisfactory answer soon.

                <<<Why is Martha taking it? Does she have IBD? (I'm guessing she does as

                I've just noticed the email address you're posting from.) Rhapsody

                doesn't have any apparent GI problems. If Budesonide acts primarily on

                the gut, would that help a cat with lung and suspected brain

                inflammation?>>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.