Re: Rhapsody after first dose of prednisolone

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2013
      Tech called me back. She had spoken with the neurologist and relayed
      instructions to not give prednisolone for three days (today, tomorrow, and
      Sunday), give it again Monday, and report back to them on Tuesday. If he
      isn't lethargic while off pred but becomes lethargic again when given
      another dose on Monday, she will probably discontinue it entirely.

      Rhapsody ate dinner with a good appetite but without his usual enthusiastic
      "YUMMY" vocalizations. After eating he walked (without apparent difficulty)
      to a litter box and pooped, normal poop, no diarrhea. A few minutes later
      he went to another litter box and pooped some more. Maybe he'd been too
      tired and groggy all day to get to the box so had a lot of poop stored up?

      He rode on my shoulder back to my bedroom, and is now washing himself. I'll
      be keeping a close eye on him in case the lethargy returns or, worse,
      escalates into another attack of breathing problems.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2013
          I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

          Marianna

          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2013
            On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM, <mmayer11@...> wrote:

            > I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

            As noted in my post about the neurology consultation, the cardiologist
            was consulted and agreed with the neurologist's and internist's
            recommendation for prednisolone, as his heart condition is mild but
            his lung and suspected brain inflammation are life-threatening.

            I don't know what the next step will be if he can't take the pred.

            Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
          • marianna.mayer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11, 2013
              yes, I re-read your post after I mentioned my concern.
              It's just that...I'm super sensitive to this issue... I lost a beloved cat [she was not a senior] to *1* single dosing of pred...she was supposedly without heart problems...yet she died from a heart attack [a cardio had cleared her priorly]. and then watched a human patient with mild 'monitored' heart issues nearly die from a heart attack due to a 3 day dose, less than 6 months ago. So this brings up red flags for me.

              Marianna

              > I thought pred was never ever to be given to heart kitties....

              As noted in my post about the neurology consultation, the cardiologist
              was consulted and agreed with the neurologist's and internist's
              recommendation for prednisolone, as his heart condition is mild but
              his lung and suspected brain inflammation are life-threatening.

              I don't know what the next step will be if he can't take the pred.

              Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

            • Lynda
              Message 6 of 12 , May 12, 2013
                Jim, Martha, with HCM and also diabetic, cannot have pred. We are giving her Budesonide, which acts primarily on the gut instead of systemically. You might want to ask your vet about that. We have had good success with it, although it does raise her blood sugar a bit.

              • Jim Sinclair
                Message 7 of 12 , May 12, 2013
                  On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Lynda <ibdcat@...> wrote:

                  > Jim, Martha, with HCM and also diabetic, cannot have pred. We are giving
                  > her Budesonide, which acts primarily on the gut instead of systemically.

                  Why is Martha taking it? Does she have IBD? (I'm guessing she does as
                  I've just noticed the email address you're posting from.) Rhapsody
                  doesn't have any apparent GI problems. If Budesonide acts primarily on
                  the gut, would that help a cat with lung and suspected brain
                  inflammation?

                  Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
                • Lynda
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                    Jim, yes, I don't have an answer to your question. I never thought about it, since Martha has IBD. Maybe some others on here will chime in with an answer, and be sure to ask your vet. I do hope you get a satisfactory answer soon.

                    <<<Why is Martha taking it? Does she have IBD? (I'm guessing she does as

                    I've just noticed the email address you're posting from.) Rhapsody

                    doesn't have any apparent GI problems. If Budesonide acts primarily on

                    the gut, would that help a cat with lung and suspected brain

                    inflammation?>>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.