Cat With HCM and Diabetes

  • FranS
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2013
      Hi all,
      My name is Franny Syufy and I have authored the Cats Website at About.com since 1997.

      My youngest male cat, Billy, has just recently been diagnosed with Diabetes and HCM (mild to moderate) I'm doing everything possible to treat the diabetes through diet, and I hope to home-test his glucose (I'm diabetic T2) but I'm at a loss as to what to do about the HCM.

      Billy is 10 and has always been a high-stress cat, very fearful of strangers and cat carriers, and it's a major event to be able to capture him and cage him. I fear that the stress of frequent trips to the vet for diabetes will exacerbate his heart condition.

      Any tips, tricks, ideas will be greatly appreciated!

      Franny

      About.com Guide to Cats
      http://cats.about.com
      Email: cats@...
      About.com | Do more.
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2013
        Hi Franny -- we are in CWA together. We will help you! Has Billy been to cardiologist for an echocardiogram to ascertain his heart's exact status? Was he put on atenolol or any other meds? Your cardiologist should lead his care.

        First let's do everything we can to get his diabetes controlled by diet, that will help matters a lot. He needs to be on 100% name-brand canned food -- Fancy Feast, Friskies, etc. Only the flavors with NO gluten, no rice, no vegetables, etc. NO treats except for pure chicken or turkey, no cheese or other milk products, no lunch meat (it's full of sugar). No hairball stuff, also full of sugar. Add extra water to each can, and leave it down so he can help control his own blood sugar throughout the day. If he sucks it dry, add more water. Is he on insulin yet? I was able to get my Pooh off insulin through diet after he was on insulin for 4 years, so I can help you with this. Are you in the yahoogroup felinediabetes? That's the best one, I've been able to get a lot of cats off insulin with diet. Thne his body will heal and you'll only have the HCM to worry about.

        HCM cats have to be kept as stress-free as possible. Try to find a vet who makes housecalls. Let's get him on that diet immediately, and see how it goes. If you can learn to hometest, then you can keep an eye on things, and you doing it will be less stressful (hopefully) than having a vet come and check it. There are some excellent videos on youtube about how to test.

        Feel free to contact me privately if you wish -- I have a lot of experience with both diabetes and HCM, I will do everything I can to help you & Billy --

        take care -- Michelle West & Tigger Too in Toronto

        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2013
          Hi Franny

          I can't offer advice about diabetes, but for the HCM measure the breathing
          rate at rest. Note what it looks like and the breaths per minute. And then
          you will notice quickly if something is going wrong by a change in the rate
          and the look of the breathing. It should be under 30. 30+ vet time and 40+
          usually an emergency. Remember this is at rest.

          I usually advice CoQ at 30mg, but I`m not sure if that would affect the
          diabetes at all. Has anyone any input on that?