Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Staci's mom: advice please, BP test?, bloodwork?, check-up

Expand Messages
  • tamitamco
    Friends, Please help advise me on what services that I should consider for Staci tomorrow. We have an appointment set in the morning, but I can make changes to
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Friends,

      Please help advise me on what services that I should consider for Staci tomorrow. We have an appointment set in the morning, but I can make changes to what we get done. Would you request:
      -blood pressure test
      -check-up with vet
      -bloodwork
      -x-ray

      I am hoping that there may be some of you who know Staci's story but I will do my best to give you an idea of what we looking at.

      Recent months: Staci is my 20 year old orange fluffball. We had a check-up with bloodwork in February where she was feeling well although her kidney numbers were climbing. She crashed in February and we started subqs at 150ml per day. She was looking good at the beginning of April when I brought her to our new vet. Soon after adding amlodipine and b-12 a few weeks ago, I noticed some changes. She had innappetance, constipation, and bloating with fluid retention. (noticed in that order). I took her in for the appointment that was originally made for an enema, but i kept the appointment after she pooped but was bloated and stopped absorbing fluids one day. We did X-rays and fluid analysis. It came back showing that she had fluid in her chest and belly area. Vet thought that the fluid in probably subq related. The vet clarified that she had fluid between her lungs, but not in her lungs. During the bloating we reduced the amlodipine and then stopped it, switching to benazepril. That was about a week ago.

      The current situation:
      Most importantly, Staci seems to feel great. She is eating, pooping, and purring wonderfully. We just restarted fluids again as the vet instructed once her pouch was finally absorbed 10 days later. I was told to do 50ml per day. I did 25ml per day, skipped a day, did 50ml, then just under 50ml today. She has been absorbing her fluids quickly. The fluids are usually gone before morning. The vet is encouraging me to go to 100ml per day. I feel ready to consider 75ml soon, but not 100ml. I think that blood pressure should be checked before considering more fluids as I was told this can effect blood pressure. I also want to make sure that the change to blood pressure meds and subqs has her BP in the healthy range now before considering changes.

      ***Concerns: My main concerns right now are her current continual weight loss, increased water consumption, subq fluid quantity adjustments, and benazepril adjustments. Staci still continues to lose weight every day, although at a slower rate. I think it could be a bit more fluids she is losing, but it seems that her weight should be stabilizing about now. (yesterday was the first day that I was pretty sure I did not feel any bloating, have thought maybe it's gone for a few days). Weight summary: 1 yr ago: 8.5lb, feeling good in jan 6.5lbs, crash low in feb 5.0, increasing in march 6.0, mid-April 19th healthy at 6.6, April 23rd 6.8, april 24th seeing bloating no fluids 7.3, April 30th 6.6, May 4th restart fluids at 6.0, may 5th 5.93, may 6th 5.9, may 7th 5.7, and now, may 8th at 5.6lbs. The vet wants me to go to 100ml per day now, but it seems like too much after what we experienced with fluid retention. I want to make sure that we have the best benazepril dosage for Staci. (started 1/4 5mg pill of benazepril a week ago, switching from amlodipine)

      ***Things to consider:
      Bp test: I am pretty convinced I should do BP test now, but wondering how often to keep doing this as we possibly make changes to her meds and subqs.
      Vet checkup: should the vet look at her? We have been seen for four weeks in a row now. First, initial apt with a new vet, second to recheck the high bp, third to confirm lower BP after starting amlodipine. The last time was with the overhydration. Should I have the vet examine to see if she can tell if there is any fluid retention? Or anything else we should have her check?
      Bloodwork:
      We had bloodwork in January when she was well, and in the beginning of April when she was well. Nobody suggested bloodwork in February when she crashed as the old vet had written her off. The new vet recommended a small in-house panel with kidney values for tomorrow. I am just not sure if her bloodwork would change that much in a month. Also, i was thinking that even if there were changes, i would think that the changes would be to the degree of severity, not to which values are showing unhealthy values. I would think that bloodwork should be done if we think there might be enough change to the values to change the treatment that Staci is getting. Should I consider bloodwork again?
      X-rays:
      I got a lot of feedback from people posting that I should do X-rays again to see if there is any fluid left in the chest before restarting fluids. We only did the 1 X-ray when she first got bloated and overhydrated. The vet is not recommending this, but many people have.

      So, when I first started this email, I had hoped to make it short. Then I keep thinking that different info is required to know the background. I hope I gave all the relevant information to get some feedback.

      What should I have done at the vet tomorrow?

      Thanks,
      Take care,
      Tami, Staci's mom
    • elfinmyst
      Hi Tami I would have blood pressure taken definitely and bloodwork as she is increased drinking it may mean her kidney function is slightly worse. It would
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Tami

        I would have blood pressure taken definitely and bloodwork as she is
        increased drinking it may mean her kidney function is slightly worse. It would
        also show if it were safe to give diuretics. Those should be a minimum. The
        xray is up to you to decide if the risk of the sedation is worth it against
        how she is breathing and what the rate per minute is.

        Lyn

        _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.