Carnitine and HCM and Hyperthyroid

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2013
      My cat has HCM and now hyperthyroid...I was reading how animals with hyperthyroid have low levels of carnitene and that it has been shown to alleviate the symptoms of hyperthyroid...so I started supplementing his diet with 100 mg of lcarnitine daily.
      Now I am reading that cats with heart disease also would benefit from this..and I am wondering if it is safe for hcm since i was reading it was an energy booster which kind of scares me a bit since Im looking to keep his respiration and heart beat down...
      My cardiogist doesnt really have any opinion except saying I use it am my own risk...or my cats risk
      Is it safe for cats with HCM...i believe its good for cats with dilatted card.disease but hcm is another matter

      Thanks
      Jim
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2013
        Hi Jim

        Carnitine is fine . It's in Vetriscience cardiostrength supplement. Its not
        a drug, it's a food supplement, and mine used the cardiostrength for
        years.

        Hyperthyroid is serious and can cause secondary HCM. It is possible for the
        hyperthyroid to be treated and the HCM to get better if the hyper T is
        causing it. Hyper T wil increase the heart rate and make the HCM worse so I`d
        look into treating it with felimasole as well. But carnitine at 200mg was
        fine for my cats

      • marianna.mayer